No announcement yet.

'81 GS750E Won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BassCliff, thanks for the welcome. I have checked out your website and found a lot of useable information. That is where I found the information about checking the float height and how to measure it. I checked in my manual also and found the same information. When I adjusted the float the way it shows, now it won't start. I'm waiting to see if someone chimes in with anything else to look into before pulling it apart again and resetting the floats. I'm not sure exactly where to set them since the thing won't run now. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Stock float heights go out the window with different different jetting and pods. Set them back to where they were before. At least it ran, even if a bit rich.

Is it running rich at all throttle positions? You really should do plug chop tests at 1/4, 1/2, and wide open throttle positions to see what each circuit is running at.

My '81 750 was running very lean when I acquired it last year with a stock exhaust and air filter. I cleaned the carbs and set float heights per the manual, to no avail. I installed a DJ stage 1 kit, and raised float heights 0.1" above manual spec, and it runs great at all throttle positions now. Still maybe a tad lean at WOT, but since I'm never there for more than a few seconds, I don't really care.

Do the plug chops once you reset the float heights and see what you get.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Well, now I am confused. I went out to the garage awhile ago for something other than the bike. While I was out there I decided to try starting it just to see what would happen. I had put the battery tender back on it overnight after trying to start it yesterday. I cranked it and it tried to start. Pulled the enrichener and hit the starter again and it fired right up. Didn't want to idle at first, but after 45-60 seconds started idling fine when I kicked the enrichener off. Let it warm up a few minutes at idle and then hit the throttle. The first couple of times it stumbled. Off idle it stumbled, from about 2k hit it and it stumbled. Did this a few times and decided that I still had issues to deal with. Let it sit and idle a couple more minutes while I did something else and decided to rev it a couple more times before I shut it off and went back in the house. It revved immediately and cleanly. Tried it off idle, worked great. Tried it from about 2k, awesome. I think I just need to get some issues with the lights ironed out and ride it for awhile and see what happens. If anyone has any suggestions or comments feel free to let them fly. I need to do some searching on here for info on plug chops as that is something new to me. I know how they do them with stock cars, but have never done it with a bike. Thanks to everyone who has offered any info and hopefully my ordeal might make someone elses life a little easier later.:-D

Comment

Working...
        X