Coil wiring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil wiring...

Ok, so I was checking my valve clearances Saturday night and ran into a problem. The Accel coils the previous owner installed have to be removed in order to get the valve cover off. So, I didn't want to completely disconnect the coils, so I marked the plug wires and tied the coils back out the way.

I manage to pull BOTH the feed wires off the right-side coil (2-3 coil). Now, looking at the wiring in my book, I see that the 1-4 coil has the white wire & orange wire, while the 2-3 has an orange wire & a black wire. Can anybody tell me which pole which wire plugs into on the 2-3 coil? These are Accel 2.2Ohm coils, gray in color.

JM

Originally posted by the_journeyman View Post
    Ok, so I was checking my valve clearances Saturday night and ran into a problem. The Accel coils the previous owner installed have to be removed in order to get the valve cover off. So, I didn't want to completely disconnect the coils, so I marked the plug wires and tied the coils back out the way.

I manage to pull BOTH the feed wires off the right-side coil (2-3 coil). Now, looking at the wiring in my book, I see that the 1-4 coil has the white wire & orange wire, while the 2-3 has an orange wire & a black wire. Can anybody tell me which pole which wire plugs into on the 2-3 coil? These are Accel 2.2Ohm coils, gray in color.

JM
    It doesn't really matter. The stock coils have a + and - cast into them near the terminals but before I realized they did I never paid any attention to how the wires hooked up. It never seemed to matter either. As long as white goes to 1 & 4 and black goes to 2 & 3 you are fine.

Comment

Dagnabbit! Wish you would've asked this yesterday. I had my tank off to replace plugs and wires and could've answered your question. My bike's P.O. also installed Accel coils (the yellow ones). Next time I'm going to make a drawing. I did'nt hook up the plug wires to the coils right the first time.](*,)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
        It doesn't really matter. The stock coils have a + and - cast into them near the terminals but before I realized they did I never paid any attention to how the wires hooked up. It never seemed to matter either. As long as white goes to 1 & 4 and black goes to 2 & 3 you are fine.
        So what are the orange wires? Negative? Ground?

Comment

Originally posted by RJz1100E View Post
          So what are the orange wires? Negative? Ground?
          Orange with white tracers are hot and common to both coils. They are hot all the time to allow the coils to energize for the next firing. The ignitor sends a ground signal to let the coils know when to fire.

Comment

So, it's not going to matter if they're wired backwards? Seems like it would cook something if the hot was on the wrong side. Looking at the stock coils, where the PO cut the wiring off, the hot (orange) was on the left side of both coils. Can't equate that to the Accel coils though ~

JM

Comment

Originally posted by the_journeyman View Post
              So, it's not going to matter if they're wired backwards? Seems like it would cook something if the hot was on the wrong side. Looking at the stock coils, where the PO cut the wiring off, the hot (orange) was on the left side of both coils. Can't equate that to the Accel coils though ~

JM
              The primary side of the coils are shielded from the secondary side. They just act as a magnetic trigger for the secondary side. And you are correct, the positive terminal on the primary side of the stock coils is on the left.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2007, 10:04 AM.

Comment

More info, if it makes any difference you just won't get any spark since the primaries are shielded from the rest of the coil. You would just end up with ground to ground on the secondary side, not hot to ground.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I just didn't want to hit the starter & blow a coil!

JM

Comment

Working...
                  X