Rejetting Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting Procedure

What all entails when rejetting a carb? Like when you bump up a jet or two? What jet changes? Main? Is that the one in the bowl that screws down tight? Do you have to further adjust the other jets on the carbs?

Is it something pretty simple? Unscrew old jet - screw in new one till tight?

What are the reasons you feel you need to rejet? What are the symtoms? Sometimes it's the mains, sometimes the needles, other times the mixture screw, sometimes a combination.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
      What are the reasons you feel you need to rejet? What are the symtoms? Sometimes it's the mains, sometimes the needles, other times the mixture screw, sometimes a combination.
      Same question JO

Comment

A buddy of mine is getting a new pipe and k&nb filters. He wants to rejet, which he should, and I wanted to be familar with the process before I do the work on his bike.

Comment

The best bet is to get a jet kit for the bike. There is a site out there that sells them for $35. It will make your life a lot easier, and the one I got even came with a 'Free Dyno Run".

The kit will get you to a great starting point.

Also, Stage 3 is what you would want.

Comment

www.motorcyclecarbs.com

Check out www.motorcyclecarbs.com Look at the page on jetting info, it explains a bit about jetting the carbs. Generally speaking, a filter and 4 to 1 exhaust will cause the bike to run leaner resulting in a need for more fuel. This requires a large jet. There is also a schematic of a carb in there which clearly labels the parts of a carb, that should help.

Also, yes changing jets is very easy, you just unscrew and put a different one in, the hard part is figuring which one to put in!

Comment

Re: Rejetting Procedure

REjetting successfully is not always easy. However on more common bikes often many have gone before you and so you can often just do whatever worked for them.

But re-jetting in general is often not easy because people usually assume that more air means that you need larger jets. And this is not always true.

Sometimes when increasing the air flow you need smaller jets, or no change.

Using an exhaust gas analyizer is the best, but you can get pretty close by properly 'reading' the plugs at the various RPM ranges.

PHM

------------------------

ike when you bump up a jet or two? What jet changes? Main? Is that the one in the bowl that screws down tight? Do you have to further adjust the other jets on the carbs?

Is it something pretty simple? Unscrew old jet - screw in new one till tight?[/quote]

Comment

just buy a jet kit as mentioned above. it's 45 bucks well spent and no headaches
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Start by buying a jet kit for your paticular model-it will have baseline setting to start with. I would also install fresh plugs to get a good reading. Most people make the mistake of placing too much emphasis on main jets-most of your riding is done on the needle-put your attention here. And only change one thing at a time so you can isolate whether your change is good or bad with no other variables. At the very least you will get good at removing and replacing the carbs. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Most people make the mistake of placing too much emphasis on main jets-most of your riding is done on the needle-put your attention here. And only change one thing at a time so you can isolate whether your change is good or bad with no other variables.

Most people make the mistake of placing too much emphasis on main jets-most of your riding is done on the needle-put your attention here. And only change one thing at a time so you can isolate whether your change is good or bad with no other variables.

yes

Comment

Thanks!

K&N is having a sale on their jet kits. So I picked one up for my ninja! Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                      X