The project 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The project 1

Ok, here we go. I removed the tank, drained and cleaned, will breakdown petcock tommorrow. Performed compression check, #1=160 #2=175 #3=160 #4=175. That made me happy. Spark check was next. #1 and #4 showed no spark and #2 and#3 had spark. I always use a multi-meter to ensure accurate readings. Now, if it had been 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 no spark I would say coil and that would be easy but with one leg out on each coil I lean towards a component like igniter. I looked for a part photo but no luck. I even only see it in schematics and not prints. How do I recognize this part or should my attention be elsewhere.

well I have good news, 1&4 are on the same coil and 2&3 share a coil so your problem may be a bad coil or bad power or control (AKA ground) connection to the coil.
    then again it could be a bad igniter also but you want to check continuity's first before changing parts.

Comment

Ok, I have an old set of accels off my 78 gs 1000 parts bike. See ya tomm.

Comment

It was my bad, kz was 1234 left to right. The book I just looked at shows 1423 as you look down on coils. Is this correct? That means I have no spark on 1 and 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahuna View Post
          It was my bad, kz was 1234 left to right. The book I just looked at shows 1423 as you look down on coils. Is this correct? That means I have no spark on 1 and 3.
          If you're asking about cylinder #, they are 1,2,3,4 from left to right, when sitting on the bike.

As I remember, the left coil is to 1 & 4, the right coil to 2 & 3.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Ok, got it. I'll post back tonight.

Comment

Switched coils, still no spark 1 and 4. Going for pick up coils in side cover by ignition but tomm night. any other suggestions ? Starting new post "82 1100 glz no spark 1&4"
              Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahuna View Post
                Switched coils, still no spark 1 and 4. Going for pick up coils in side cover by ignition but tomm night. any other suggestions ? Starting new post "82 1100 glz no spark 1&4"
                Sounds like a bad coil. Change them both (about $120) with aftermarket coils. Best money you'll spend.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X