Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace your stator - A pictoral guide

Greetings everyone,

Yes, it was an eventful weekend but I still found time on Sunday to replace my stator while I was changing the oil. Or did I change the oil while I was replacing my stator? Anyway, after replacing the r/r (Thanks to Mr. duaneage for the Honda r/r!) and still having a charging problem, knowing I had a good battery, left only a suspect stator. Here's what I found when I removed the left crankcase cover:

As you can see, a few of the coils had damaged insulation. Two of the damaged coils are on the same leg of the stator (this being a three phase, 18 pole, AC generator with 6 coils per leg spaced evenly around the part). In effect, these damaged coils were just lumps of copper resistance and were no longer coils that produce alternating current. It's no wonder my bike wasn't charging.

Here is the new part I got from RMSTATOR installed in the cover and ready for reassembly. They also have an ebay store that usually sells this part for $10 less and includes free shipping. I paid $101 total for the part ($2 for insurance).

I also replaced all the bullet connectors between the r/r and stator. Here is a picture of what I had when I began the procedure.

And here is a picture of the final wiring with the new insulated blade connectors all dressed and neat.

Now my bike is charging properly, all the lights are brighter, and I think it's even running a little better because it's getting full voltage to the spark plugs.

For a complete pictorial guide of my stator replacement experience, please visit the BikeCliff website. There you will find my stator replacement procedure in PDF format for your downloading pleasure. Please let me know what you think. I hope someone might find it useful.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2007, 01:27 AM.

Good job! Thanks for sharing with pics and everything! I used the same connections for my stator and R/R execpt I don't have that bulky airbox in my way.;-)

That old stator is FRIED!!! I bet your best friend was a battery charger.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i thought the rectifier and the regulator were separate units.

Parts 8 and 17 in the above diagram.

So when you say you got a honda r/r are you talking about an integrated unit, or one of each?

Comment

After 79 they went with an all in one unit.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Good job! Thanks for sharing with pics and everything! I used the same connections for my stator and R/R execpt I don't have that bulky airbox in my way.;-)

That old stator is FRIED!!! I bet your best friend was a battery charger.
          Hey, thanks Bill...uh, I mean Mr. chef1366. Yes, my "Jessie" would get a trickle charge every night. And what's the matter with her airbox anyway? I think she's got a nice airbox and it gets the job done for me.

BassCliff

Comment

Oh. bugger.

Comment

Single unit r/r

Hi Mr. s0crates82,

Here is a picture of my old r/r (left) and the Honda r/r "upgrade" on the right.

Mr. duaneage, of this forum, usually has a few available. As you can see, it's a beefier unit than the stock part.

BassCliff

Comment

the slim one looks like the one i just got from z1enterprises to replace my fried oem rectifier. i've got a 78' gs550e.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Fits Suzuki GS250T (78-82) GS400 (77-78) GS425 GS450E (80-83) GS450L (80-82) GS450S (80-82) GS450T (81-82) GS550E (77-80) GS550L (80-83) GS550M (82) GS550T (80-82) GS650E GS750L (79-82) GS750T (82) GS850G (79-81) GS850GL (80-81) GS850L (80-82) GS1000 (78-80) GS1000E (78-80) GS1000G (80-81) GS1000GL (80-81) GS1000L (79) GS1000S (79-80) GS1100E (80-81) GS1100G (80-81) GS1100GK (82)

Comment

Mr. s0crates82,

That part will work OK. It's just not "heavy duty" and has less surface cooling area. These parts can get hot. Mr. duaneage usually has the Honda parts, he even puts the regular bullet connectors on, for around $40.

We'll see in a few thousand miles how well my new electrical components hold up. So far, so good - but I've only ridden about 500 miles since the new r/r and 35 miles since the new stator. I'll keep you informed.

BassCliff

Comment

Great Job Cliff, everything Looked Familiar as Bwringer did the same job on My bike back in September except My RR tested OK. Ride On!
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Nice work once again Cliff.

Your next assignment: post a pictorial on Rewinding A Stator. 8-[

I've got a spare with burn spots just like yours. Going to have a go at rewinding it some day - just lacking a pictorial from someone like you to lead me through it. [-o<
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Nice work once again Cliff.

Your next assignment: post a pictorial on Rewinding A Stator. 8-[

I've got a spare with burn spots just like yours. Going to have a go at rewinding it some day - just lacking a pictorial from someone like you to lead me through it. [-o<
                        There was one posted on this site not too long ago. Do a search. :-D

Comment

Your humble servant

Hi folks!

In this site's very own Stator Papers is a "How to rewind your own stator" page. I'm afraid I've done a bad thing and already tossed my old stator. The trash man picked it up this morning. Sorry Mr. Nessism, it may be a while before I can create a pictorial guide. 8-[

BassCliff

Comment

Very good of you to take the time to share.
                            I looked at your website info and if you don't mind, I'd like to add a couple little thoughts. I just replaced my stator and starter clutch too.
                            I suggest using dielectric grease to all electrical connections. Very good stuff.
                            Also, if you have some old, LONGER Phillips screws around or whatever (I did because I've changed all the Phillips to Allens) that have the same thread as the ones for the stator case, just cut the heads off 2 of them, turn them in a few turns at opposite ends of the case, and now you have guides to allow you to easily install the cover without it fighting you. Just slip the cover over both guide screws ends and it just about installs itself.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Your humble servant

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                              Very good of you to take the time to share.
                              I looked at your website info and if you don't mind, I'd like to add a couple little thoughts. I just replaced my stator and starter clutch too.
                              I suggest using dielectric grease to all electrical connections. Very good stuff.
                              Also, if you have some old, LONGER Phillips screws around or whatever (I did because I've changed all the Phillips to Allens) that have the same thread as the ones for the stator case, just cut the heads off 2 of them, turn them in a few turns at opposite ends of the case, and now you have guides to allow you to easily install the cover without it fighting you. Just slip the cover over both guide screws ends and it just about installs itself.
                              Mr. KEITH KRAUSE,

I love the tip about using old headless screws as guides for replacing the stator cover. And I'm sorry about not mentioning dielectric grease. You're right, it's good stuff and keeps the connections from corroding. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

I hope the fires are not too close to you. Let's all keep the victims and the firefighters in our prayers.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X