Rear Brake Master Cyl GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Master Cyl GS1100E

I think I need a new rear brake master cylinder. Has anyone here put a more modern part on there?

I dont want to get a salvage part that is 20+ yrs old. I would rather get a newer part from a wrecked bike. For example I am hoping a ZRX rear master would bolt right in.

Has anyone here modernized the rear brakes on a GS1100E?? Without a GSXR swingarm that is.

rebuild

Or, is there a rebuild kit for the rear master cylinder??

Comment

Re: rebuild

Originally posted by RedGS1100
      Or, is there a rebuild kit for the rear master cylinder??
      There is a rebuild kit from Suzuki...real easy to install.

Hap

Comment

What kind of rubber tubing would be acceptable as a replacement for the one that goes to the reservoir?

Steve

Comment

To rebuild or not

Red:
          Yes indeed there is a rebuild kit, but that is assuming that the old unit can be disassembled.....
          The rear master for my 1150 was rusted up inside to the point where it couldn't be disassembled to rebuild.
          I had to get a brand new one. By the way, what circumstances are you redoing the rear master? Frozen up (Mine), bleeding down, or?
          Rick............(Jordan too!)

Comment

brakes

My current one seems to be frozen. I had it off the bike and removed the snap ring from the bottom end of it. What comes apart after that? I was able to push a the piston down some but not out. I am not sure what that indicates. Do I need to push harder on the piston to get it out?

Comment

Re: brakes

My current one seems to be frozen. I had it off the bike and removed the snap ring from the bottom end of it. What comes apart after that? I was able to push a the piston down some but not out. I am not sure what that indicates. Do I need to push harder on the piston to get it out?
              Red:
              I couldn't even get the snap-ring off on mine...so your farther along than I got.
              Rick......

Comment

snap ring

Why cant you get the snap ring off? Do you have snap ring pliers or is the snap ring stuck in place?

I was able to push the piston out, cleaned everything up and got it back together. Everything was like new once I cleaned it. It goes back on the bike tonight.

I use ATE Super Blue brake fluid. Dot 3/4 fluid that is bright blue, great specs too!

Comment

Re: snap ring

Why cant you get the snap ring off? Do you have snap ring pliers or is the snap ring stuck in place?

The snap ring was rusted up solid despite the correct snap ring pliers.
                  I wound up replacing the whole thing anyway...the machine was left outside for four years before I got to it. The space under the bootie was filled with water & horribly rusted.
                  Rick..........

I was able to push the piston out, cleaned everything up and got it back together. Everything was like new once I cleaned it. It goes back on the bike tonight.

I use ATE Super Blue brake fluid. Dot 3/4 fluid that is bright blue, great specs too!

Comment

Working...
                  X