Bolt on replacement carbs for 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt on replacement carbs for 250

Are there any carbs that can replace the carbs on my 81 gs250 without a ton of work? I'm looking for something a little easier to jet and rebuild.

Thanks,
    Primo

Just how easy do you want it? :shock:

You probably only have to do each of them once, if you do it right. If you have to clean the carbs due to lack of maintenance or lack of riding, you will have to do it regardless of what carb is on there. The stock carbs are not really much of a problem to clean.

Why are you having to re-jet? If you have installed pods and/or a pipe, you have just opened up a can of worms for yourself, without doing much more than adding noise to the neighborhood. The 250s just don't gain a whole lot of noticeable power from these mods. Therefore, the stock jets in the stock (clean) carbs will probably be your best bet.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did a search and if I'm not mistaken Primo could not get the emulsion tubes out of his carbs. Right?

Not sure if this will help but I had some stuck slides on my '79 VM carbs and soaking in carb dip didn't help enough to matter. Finally I took a heat gun to the carbs and the slides literally fell loose under their own weight. The varnish turned to glue which the heat loosened. Worth at try before ditching the whole carb rack.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah that was me not able to get the emulsion tubes out. I'm putting pods on and reverse cone emgos but not for performance more for asthetics. I'm stripping the bike down to make it look more inline with a style I like (cafe) and as a challenge to myself to see if I can do it. I've got another project waiting in the wings (maybe 2 if a deal on a gs750 comes through for me) and want to finish this little bike for my wife before I start on them as they are whole lot more involved than this one. I haven't progressed past the problems I was having earlier yet but have started a teardown of the bike to the frame so I can get it powdercoated and build her back up before my busy season at work starts up again. I don't mind working things through so I'm not afriad of a little challenge.

Back to the carbs and their problem I figure pods would flow a whole lot more than the stock intake so I need to make restrictor plates or something similar if I retain the stockers. If I can find some good alternate carbs I figured I could just swap em out and have an easier time tuning.

Thanks,
        Primo

Oh and by easier I mean better parts availability in the way of jets and what not. I understand with a bike like this not everything will be as easy to get as they are for my Bonneville but I can't find jets or anything for these suckers, I'm having a hard enough time just trying to figure out what carb I have on this bike. I've got a service manual on the way so maybe it will help answer some questions
        Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X