Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR failure question

Hi,
    First, a long-winded prologue to my question: A co-worker of mine was the original owner of a 1980 GS1100E. When he bought a new motorcycle in 1992, he parked the GS, waiting for a friend who was going to use the GS motor for a drag bike. Fifteen years later, the friend had yet to show up, so to help clean out his shed, I decided I would take on the task of trying to bring the GS back to life (me to my not amused missus: "The best part of it all honey is that it's a free motorcycle!"). The only reason I took this on is because the bike ran perfectly fine when he parked it. After cleaning the tank of varnished-gas, rebuilding the carbs (that was fun, had to drill out stuck jets), overhauling the fork, new tires, new battery, new fuel petcock (ditched the vacuum one) and lots of general cleaning, I got it running well except that the dreaded battery light was on. I have read the Stator Papers and checked everything out (also used the procedures of the two shop manuals I have) and have 99.9% concluded that the RR is bad.

My question...I have no reason to doubt that the bike was A-OK when it was parked so I just don't understand how an electronic component can go bad just by sitting in a shed for 15 years. I have searched the forums as best as I could to try and find the answer but haven't had any luck so if this has come up before, I apologize for asking it again. Can anyone shed some light on this? After the excitement of thinking that I was going to be able to begin riding the GS on a regular basis, this is a big disappointment. Sadly, the budget is tight so I am going to have to wait awhile before spending $175 on a new RR. Oh well, while I wait I can research the forums for possible alternatives to the OEM route.

Is that a "charging" light, or battery water/electrolyte-level?

Comment

hp100s may have something...1100E's had a low battery light...check that first.

Regarding the R/R, just about any R/R will work, you just need to figure out how to wire it. I bought a late model Honda R/R off ebay for less than $30 shipped.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The Suzuki R/R's are famous for burning out ... it's possible that it was going bad when he parked it and he just forgot. Replace it with a Honda unit (mine just arrived today for $20 shipped) -- they are beefier units that have a reputation for being more reliable than the stock Suzuki units. If you search r/r you ought to find several threads that discuss how to wire them in (it's NOT hard).

Also, lose the crappy "bullet" connectors and ground directly to the battery (this is discussed in most R/R threads). It's possible that your OEM unit is actually still good, but the connections have corroded and caused the problem.

Hope this is helpful!

Regards,

Comment

Before you start replacing parts, be sure and put a voltmeter on the system. This will tell you if it is the idiot light or truly the charging system.
          It could also be something as simple as corrosion on the 3 wires from the stator to the regulator. Mine were pretty bad when I checked them this fall, and it lives in a partially heated garage.

Comment

The battery light is merely a light to tell you that a sensor can not sense any electrolyte in the battery.

If you still have a battery in there that will accept the sensor, check the fluid level in the battery. If the battery has been replaced and the sensor is just floating freely in the wiring harness, you have three options: 1) connect the wire above the sensor to a switched 12-volt wire. 2) remove the bulb from the instrument panel. 3) Install a battery that will accept the sensor.

Personally, I would put a sealed battery in there and disable the light by one of the two methods above. 8-[

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. oldslowrunner,

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

As the others have stated, no reason to pay that kind of money for a new r/r when a used Honda part can be had for much cheaper. I got mine from Mr. duaneage, a member of this forum, for $40 shipped. Here you will see my old one on the left and the "new" one on the right:

The Honda part has an "extra" wire, called a "sense" wire. Just find a place to plug it into a switched 12v supply wire, usually the brake light. It "senses" when the voltage goes up or down and regulates the output of the stator accordingly. The other 5 wires are; 3 for the stator connections, one for the "hot", and one for the ground. Note that the r/r ground is best connected directly to the battery's negative terminal. Splice and solder some extra wire for length if you must.

Thanks for joining us. We look forward to pictures. It sounds as if you've already become quite the motorcycle mechanic. I have yet to delve into the joys of carburetor rebuilding.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

$175 for a RR, I'll sell you a RR for $175.
                But seriously, you can find them much cheaper than that. Make sure that you have checked the whole system before you start tearing into it.

Comment

If you need an R/R go with a late model Honda unit off Ebay. You can pick up one that's only a year or two old for under $40 most any day of the week. And the newer Honda units don't have a sense wire, 5 wires just like the GS part.

Comment

thank you all

I guess I get a "duh" award for thinking the light was for the charge - in my defense, I don't have an owner's manual and didn't even know that electrolyte level lights existed. The sensor is long gone and once I found the wire, I touched it to the + terminal and voila! the light is off.

Secondly, I soldered some wire to the RR ground and ran that back to the battery ground. I also cleaned all of the connectors and that seems to have done the trick.

Finally got on the road today and found a few more bugs that need addressing. #1 is that this thing is a bear to start when it's cold; ended up having to jump the battery from the mighty Toyota Echo to get it fired up, #2 the idle racing when I stopped at lights; #3 is the stripped oil drain plug (that I had hoped would make it to winter before I'd have to fix it) backed off from the vibration and was leaking like a sieve. I have been searching the forum for #1 & 2 and have found many items that might help (now all I need is time to wade through them). #3 is already underway as I pulled the sump pan and will take it over the auto parts place for a Helicoil . When I do get it back together, I promise to take a photo and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowrunner View Post
                      I guess I get a "duh" award for thinking the light was for the charge - in my defense, I don't have an owner's manual and didn't even know that electrolyte level lights existed. The sensor is long gone and once I found the wire, I touched it to the + terminal and voila! the light is off.

Secondly, I soldered some wire to the RR ground and ran that back to the battery ground. I also cleaned all of the connectors and that seems to have done the trick.

Finally got on the road today and found a few more bugs that need addressing. #1 is that this thing is a bear to start when it's cold; ended up having to jump the battery from the mighty Toyota Echo to get it fired up, #2 the idle racing when I stopped at lights; #3 is the stripped oil drain plug (that I had hoped would make it to winter before I'd have to fix it) backed off from the vibration and was leaking like a sieve. I have been searching the forum for #1 & 2 and have found many items that might help (now all I need is time to wade through them). #3 is already underway as I pulled the sump pan and will take it over the auto parts place for a Helicoil . When I do get it back together, I promise to take a photo and post it.
                      I had to laugh

Comment

Finally got on the road today and found a few more bugs that need addressing. #1 is that this thing is a bear to start when it's cold; ended up having to jump the battery from the mighty Toyota Echo to get it fired up, ...
                        Hopefully, the "mighty" Echo was not running when you jumped the battery. The way the GS charging system is designed, it will try to regulate any voltage it sees. There is a chance that the Echo's charging system puts out just a bit more than the GS's trip point, so the GS will try (usually unsuccessfully) to regulate the Echo's output, too.

Usual starting drill: 1) If it has been several days since the bike has been run (shame on you ), turn the petcock to PRIME for 30 seconds or so. 2) Apply something between half and full choke. 3)Turn on the key, pull the clutch, push the starter button. Do NOT touch the throttle. 4) Modulate engine speed with the choke to keep it under about 2,000 rpm. 5) By the time you get your jacket and helmet on, the bike will be ready to ride. 6) Don't forget to put the petcock back to the RUN position.

#2 the idle racing when I stopped at lights;
                        Are you saying that it will idle normally when cold, but speeds up when the engine is warm? Classic symptoms of a vacuum leak. Prime culprits are the o-rings on the intake boots.

#3 is the stripped oil drain plug (that I had hoped would make it to winter before I'd have to fix it) backed off from the vibration and was leaking like a sieve.
                        Sounds like you already have that situation under control.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just Being Thorough ;-)

Mr. Steve,

Aren't you going to suggest a valve clearance check? :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah, I suppose I should, but do you think we should tell oldslowrunner why?

OK. Another classic symptom of hard to start when cold is lack of valve adjustment. The valves almost always tighten as they age. As the clearance (which is already very small) diminishes, the intake valve closes later. This allows the piston to come up farther before the valve is completely closed, which blows some of the mixture back into the intake throat. Moments later, on the next intake cycle, this fuel mixture will have a bit more mixture added to it, making it even richer, and harder to start. Properly adjusted valves wiill go a long way to making your bike so easy to start, you will wonder why you waited so long.

OK, BassCliff, now for the shameless plugs: 8-[
                            BassCliff has a nicely-illustrated tutorial on his website that will guide you through the adjustment procedure. On the last page of his tutorial, he says
                            ... it's a good idea to inventory the shims in your motor. If you know your current shim size, you'll be able to know better what shims you may need for future adjustments. Document all clearances and shim sizes.

As luck would have it, I have developed an Excel spreadsheet that will help you do just that. Send me an e-mail and I will give you a copy of the spreadsheet.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X