Rectifier / Regulator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectifier / Regulator Question

What are the requirements for a regulator / rectifer to work on a GS1000? I know people have posted a Honda CX500 upgrade, but why not a goldwing or vulcan? Obviously there are electronic constraints, but what are those constraints. Just curious -- I might be on a lookout for a replacement for my bike and would like to understand my options..

Thanks

I know a little, I'll just guess the rest

Mr. phaserburn,

Basic requirement for the r/r are three input wires (usually yellow, from the stator), an output wire (usually red, to charge the battery), a ground wire (could be green or black, to the negative battery terminal), and the Honda part has a "sense" wire that needs to be connected to a switched 12v line, usually the rear brake light. It has to rectify and regulate about 80v AC input (from all three legs of the stator/alternator assembly) to about 12-14v DC output.

I'm sorry I don't know the compatible part numbers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

EDIT: Fixed my numbers after consulting with Mr. Steve.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks BassCliff! I have so much to learn and you guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge. I'm trying to do as much work on the bike as I can. Learning and relaxing -- when I'm not frustrated!

Comment

I'm using a late model CBR1000RR unit on my bike. 5 wires just like the stock GS unit and much more robust.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          I'm using a late model CBR1000RR unit on my bike. 5 wires just like the stock GS unit and much more robust.
          Off of what year and part number if possible.

Comment

It was a 2006 if I remember right. Just like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...spagenameZWDVW .

Any of the late model CBRs probably use the same r/r.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              It has to rectify and regulate about 240v AC input (from all three legs of the stator/alternator assembly) to about 12-14v DC output.
              Mr. BassCliff,

If your stator is putting out 240v AC, you need a new stator. :shock:

Yes, each leg of the stator is supposed to put out about 80 volts, but the three legs are 120 degrees offset from each other, which smooths out the output, but does not add to the peak voltage.

That would be like saying that your 850's engine has a stroke of 225.6 mm. Doesn't it?
              I mean, each piston goes up and down 56.4 mm, and there are four of them, so ... :-\"

Mr. phaserburn,

Here is a link to a search on eBay for Honda regulators. What you are looking for will likely be on a bike that is 500cc or larger, but stay away from the ATV stuff, regardless of size. Look at the picture, make sure it has at least 5 wires as BassCliff mentioned.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you are into electronics it is easy and quite inexpensive to rebuild the R/R. There are schematics available. Then you can also buy the Electrex one that is supposed to be an improvement or use one off another bike. Later model bikes that have a field winding in addition to the 3 starr, 3 phase windings will not work

Comment

I was told there would be no math!

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Mr. BassCliff,

If your stator is putting out 240v AC, you need a new stator. :shock:

Yes, each leg of the stator is supposed to put out about 80 volts, but the three legs are 120 degrees offset from each other, which smooths out the output, but does not add to the peak voltage.

That would be like saying that your 850's engine has a stroke of 225.6 mm. Doesn't it?
                  I mean, each piston goes up and down 56.4 mm, and there are four of them, so ... :-\"
                  Hi Mr. Steve,

That's what I get for trying to do the math without a calculator. It's been too long since my active electronics class in college. Thanks for clearing that up. It's good to know you've got my back. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    If you are into electronics it is easy and quite inexpensive to rebuild the R/R. There are schematics available. Then you can also buy the Electrex one that is supposed to be an improvement or use one off another bike. Later model bikes that have a field winding in addition to the 3 starr, 3 phase windings will not work
                    The components are sealed in epoxy so it's not that easy. Not to step on anyone's toes here, but the popular replacement is the early '80s Honda R/R. Why not use the late model Honda regs that are only a year or two old and can be had for the same money?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      The components are sealed in epoxy so it's not that easy. Not to step on anyone's toes here, but the popular replacement is the early '80s Honda R/R. Why not use the late model Honda regs that are only a year or two old and can be had for the same money?
                      Agree.:-D Lots of wrecked CBR's out there; R/R's are available for cheap off ebay.

As far as which to get, just about any R/R will work; they all seem to have three input wires and two, or three, output wires (the third wire is sometimes for voltage sense).
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        As far as which to get, just about any R/R will work; they all seem to have three input wires and two, or three, output wires (the third wire is sometimes for voltage sense).
                        Just to add to the confusion (therefore I don't mention it often), I have gotten a Honda regulator (I don't remember what year or model) that had EIGHT wires connected to it. Had the usual three yellow inputs, but had two red outputs, two green grounds and a black sense wire. Evidently they had some incentive that year to use the same gauge wire for everything, so they used two wires in parallel to handle the extra current.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are absolutely right. One should rather replace with a newer type as the old 1980 GS did not have regulation on one of the phases, but was supposed to be switched in when headlights were switched on. A mod was usually done in the headlight where the wires were shorted out. This wire should in actual fact be bypassed right at the regulator on the GS, as the original mod pushed AC unnecessarily over this long wire. The newer ones are also more bullet proof, when or if your stator or battery fails.
                          In our part of the world the abundance of spares at the prices you get them for is not really the same and shipping from the USA is sometimes a lot more than the spare itself, so even Honda ones cost a bit to land here. If I could get a Honda regulator at $20 shipped here for $5 I would really go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                            You are absolutely right. One should rather replace with a newer type as the old 1980 GS did not have regulation on one of the phases, but was supposed to be switched in when headlights were switched on. A mod was usually done in the headlight where the wires were shorted out. This wire should in actual fact be bypassed right at the regulator on the GS, as the original mod pushed AC unnecessarily over this long wire. The newer ones are also more bullet proof, when or if your stator or battery fails.
                            In our part of the world the abundance of spares at the prices you get them for is not really the same and shipping from the USA is sometimes a lot more than the spare itself, so even Honda ones cost a bit to land here. If I could get a Honda regulator at $20 shipped here for $5 I would really go for it.
                            If you ever need one I'd be happy to be the middleman and get it out to you.

Comment

you all have been wonderful and I'm learning a lot. I guess it is time for me to head to E-Bay and see what deals are to be made.
                              Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                              X