new project, lots of pics, simple problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new project, lots of pics, simple problem

ok so im taking on the project of fixing my friend's bike. its a yamaha 500 something i have no clue. the only problem right now is it's carbs are dirty. i have never cleaned carbs so i have no idea where to start and i dont want to buy a book for a bike that is not even mine nor i will keep. so im going to post some pictures with some questions and hopefully ill figure out this way. i want to somehow clean them with out taking them off of the bike.

here it is sans gas tank

what is the triangular thing?

what is the diamond shaped thing? the fuel pump?

is this where i would spray the start fluid?

and any suggestions on how to clean the carbs without taking them off would be appreciated

PS my 750R is 973$ to repair with labor ,263 without , water pump and 3 gaskets.

I don't know what the parts are worth but a grand for a bad water pump sounds like a lot. Isn't it just hanging off the side of the engine in plain view?

Comment

159 for the pump and 10 hours to get in to the oil pan where it is located. any advice on this bike? i talkd to the guy at the counter about starter spray and he said it was dangerous. dangerous in which way? as in it could blow the cylinders apart or dangerous as in it could blow up if i light the can on fire?

Comment

Starter spray isn't a good idea as it isn't a cleaner and won't fix anything. It is dangerous because it can catch fire while spraying it. My coworker had to put out a fire on a guys FACE. The machine he was working on backfired and blew flaming starter fluid into his face... If the bike pictured is running poorly you may get away with using the Yamaha cleaner you were told about earlier. Otherwise it should be taken apart.

Steve

Comment

It looks as though you have a 500 Virago, pre-84. The triangular thingee is something to do with induction system, YICS. I believe it means "Yamaha Induction Control System". My dirtbike has YEIS, which means "Yamaha Energy Induction System". Yamaha made up these funny names to make things sound high tech. It's probably just a valve or something that the bike will run without, but I would get a second opinion on that one.

Someone is trying to pull a fast one on you. There is NO water pump on this bike, it is air cooled. Perhaps they meant oil pump? I think you have to pull the motor and split the case for that one, no

Buy a book and get your buddy to pay for it. After all, it,s his bike! Besides, you may find out I have given you erroneous information! 8O

Check a Virago website, pehaps someone there will be a little more knowledgable about this bike. Good luck.
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Re: new project, lots of pics, simple problem

A carb cannot be satisfactorily cleaned without being removed and dismantled. Most likely, internal seals/ "O" rings will need replacing and the carb will have to be reset to specs. About the only thing squirting solvent into the carb intakes will do is destroy the seals and render the carbs completely inoperable. If you have no idea of where to start or what to do, the only reasonable avenue is to buy a book with the required information and proceedures for that particular motorcycle. Done wrong, its possible to destroy a pair of $200 carbs in 30 seconds flat. Forget starter fluid, as it has a tendency to blow up in your face and take your head off. My advice is to give your friend back his bike and tell him, you dont know how to fix it and didnt want to risk making it worse.

Earl

[quote="ice109"]
            ok so im taking on the project of fixing my friend's bike. its a yamaha 500 something i have no clue. the only problem right now is it's carbs are dirty. i have never cleaned carbs so i have no idea where to start and i dont want to buy a book for a bike that is not even mine
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ok i got the carbs off, now what? i got the float bowl covers off too

mcycle-nut the water pump is on my other bike a ninja 750

Comment

i posted on there but is anyone knowledgable on here?

Comment

Definitely go back to that Virago site and you might also try here at the V Star 650 site:

The 650 V Star enigne evolved from the Virago enigine and a lot of the guys on this site have had Viragos or at least can lead you ni the right direction.

I come to this site for my girlfriend's 81 GS650GL (by the way, I have learned a lot about the GS bikes and have become a believer in them), but I ride a V Star. Those carbs are really pretty easy to work on. Now that you have them off, be very carefull you don't knock aorund the floats and put the float level out of whack. Also be careful not to tear the diaphragm. Parts for those carbs are easy to come by at just about any Yamaha dealer.

Sounds to me like this bike hasn't been run in a while and the carbs are gunked up. You are going in the right direction.

Bottom line, have your friend spent the 20 to 30 bucks for a Clymers. Trying to do this blindfolded will only lead to more problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X