Bike missing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike missing.

Ok I was just wondering what would make a GS850L just intermittently miss once it gets good and warmed up. Its weird. It's like 1 cylinder keeps going dead and then firing back up. Anyone got any ideas.

bike missing

Bigs,
    Sounds like carbs to me....its an 80 so its got electronic ignition...but I wouldn't rule out a coil....if you can determine which carb is cutttin out pull them and check that float bowl....heck while at it go through all of them with a can or two of carb cleaner.....Suzuki sells a product just for that.....from there it may be who knows....Good luck
    Rodm850g

Comment

It could easily be any one of the ignition components for that cylinder. When they're in their final dying days they fail intermittenly, until one day they fail altogether.
      Go ahead, ask me how I know.

Comment

Mr. big_gs,

Can you tell which cylinder?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Don't know which cylinder but I don't think its carbs. You can hear the miss and its not a gradual in and out like a carb problem. Its just off and on and only does it every once in a while. I'm gonna check the obvious and cheapest first I suppose. The plugs. And no I don't know what cylinder.

Comment

I'd start with the spark plug caps. Make sure they are threaded into good clean copper wire.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I checked the plugs all are brown and not caked or fouled with anything. My wires look kinda old and cracked. I'll post pictures of them. If it is missing would I be able to see it when it is running at night?

Comment

Another vote for "dont overlook the plug caps".

- They do twist off the wires.
                - They can go bad over time.
                - Can be temperature senitive (get worse when hot). Can act up intermittently.
                - Can check with a meter. 5000 ohms if I recall properly. Go higher resistance, near infinity or "open" as they fail.
                - Are about 4 - 5 bucks each. Outside two cycliders have shorter caps, inside two have longer caps.
                - Most any mocycle shop carries them, are NKG and other brands, not specific to Suzuki.
                - Most folks will recommend cutting off about 1/4 inch of the wire end to get to fresher conductor when insatalling a new set of caps.

Last edited by Redman; 10-31-2007, 08:20 PM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Hell if thats all they cost I'll go get some tommorrow and try it out. I think it may be a coil though cause it missed like after 2 minutes of riding today and wouldnt catch full power unless I just floored it. I had to replace one when I bought the bike and I think it was off a different model as it was a slightly different size.

Comment

Well it seems that the wires are attatced to the coils and the coils are 150 bucks for both. Hmmmm.... I'll run it some tonight and see if I can see something sparking.

Comment

Try this...

Okay, I experienced something similar. Get the new plug caps. Pull the plugs, check 'em, clean 'em and gap 'em where necessary. Cut 1/2" off the ends of the wires, screw the new plug caps into the wires. I'd pull the tank to check the coils wire connections.

Fire her up. If you see the same issue, swap one coil for the other and see if it moves to a different cyl. Get it? Now if it doesn't move to a different cyl, it's a carb issue.

Good luck.

Comment

Don't say the C word. lol

Comment

Ok its weird. It does it sometimes when I first start it. And other times when I'm cruisin down the road and sometimes not at all. Could it be the coils? The plugs look good. The boots I will post pictures of. But it's getting frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by bigs_gs View Post
                            Ok its weird. It does it sometimes when I first start it. And other times when I'm cruisin down the road and sometimes not at all. Could it be the coils? The plugs look good. The boots I will post pictures of. But it's getting frustrating.
                            Take off the right hand engine cover housing the triggering mechanism for the electonic ignition. Check that the stator plate, rotor mount bolt or the black and white wires haven't come loose. If these check out OK, check out all other connections asssociated with the coils and the transistor box.
                            The fact that the fault is intermittent probably rules out the carbs and pet cock. The colour of your plugs indicate that the engine's tuning is good.
                            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Has run fine all week. I'll check those connections. If its any help, one cylider will cut out and sometimes a second will cut. You can feel it just not able to pull itself at all and it sounds horrible and then all of a sudden it just grabs and your off.

Comment

Working...
                              X