Chains again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains again...

I just bought an RK Takasago RX chain for my 400 (it's overkill but I'm fed up with working on my chain...) and figured I could just hammer the rivet link together like other posters do. Anyway, the box specifically says not to do this.

How seriously should I take the info on the box? I think I'll just take it back to the shop I got it at and have them press it together like they should have when I got them to cut it but I'm still curious.

Oh yeah, I guess shafts are for young folk too because I saw a brand new Yamaha 50cc with a shaft

Cheers, Steve

Put it together with a clip master and ride it to the shop and have them install rivit link

Comment

Steve there is no doubt that a rivitted link is better than a standard master link, but why do you feel that you want/must have one??

Comment

The chain came with a riveted link so I'm gonna go ahead and use it. It says not to use a clip but I think this is because the chain is meant for high horsepower bikes. It's a racing chain but has a 20000 mile warranty

Oh yeah, I was wondering if I'm supposed to measure the width of the chain when checking the slack? I can't believe that is the correct method but I just want to make sure I get this right as this will be the last chain I buy for this bike. The pictures in both of my books are vague...probably because Clymer copied suzukis

Thanks, Steve

Comment

If the width of a chain changes it will only be the link that breaks and opens up. Chains wear length-wise, they get longer. So you measure length.

Comment

Working...
          X