Should have introduced myself correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should have introduced myself correctly

Hi jumped in the other day asking questions without introducing myself properly ie. with pics. So please have a look at my pics and if anyone fancies it a bit more advice and guidance is required.

The first pic is the bike as i bought it last week.it is a abandoned project the previous owner has stripped the bike down and sprayed the frame and thats about it.

it looks like the bike has been down the road a few times see points cover pic (i know its not got points but y ou knoe what i mean) there is also a slight scuff on the lock nut on the end of the crankhaft could this damage/bend the crank?it turns real easy with a spanner.

started stripping the tank as i found some bad blisters under it near the seams and there was a one on ebay at a reasonable price so thought i,d check mine out.seems solid enough.

can get hold of a nos set of original downpipes and silencers for £200 approx $400 is it worth it cost/performance I want the bike to look and ride well when finished but not bothered about concours.

got loads more questions but i guess thats enough for know hope you like the pics by the way bike cost £150 $300 has had 12 previous owners.

can only upload one pic ?

Looks like a great project! Welcome to the GSR, there are people that now more about these bikes than the factory did when they were new. :-D

Basscliff should be along to welcome you officially, until then, Greetings are in order.

Comment

Welcome to the nut house. \\/

Yeah, you can only do one picture at a time if you do it that way. If you have your pictures stored at a site like Photobucket, you can use the IMG link and paste that in your message. That way, you see the actual picture without having to click on anything, and you can do four at a time. Please be considerate if you do that, though, re-size your pictures to no more than 800x600 to save space on the server and it will also keep some of us from having to scroll sideways to see the entire picture.

Nice picture of the beginning of the project, but you neglected to mention what the bike is. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Its a 1982 550 M

but the more i examine the motor the more i think a new motor may be required.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. barrykatona,

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. And your standing only improves with pictures. :-D

Twelve previous owners? Wow. I'm as much amazed that you know that fact about the bike as I am at the actual number of PO's. Is that some kind of record?

What makes you think you need a new motor? Have you had a chance to give it a compression test? Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for joining us. I just love to read people who type with a British accent. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

The engine was stripped down when i got it and I am worried about the following issues:-

The barrels have been honed and look in good shape but the pistons have a lot black gunk in the ring recesses other wise look ok i can get a .10mm feeler gauge between the piston (without rings) and barrel and according to my manual this indicates a rebore is neccessary? pistons indicate standard bore

Also the cylinder head cam covers (the 4 brackets that holds the cams in place A,B,C,D not sure of the name) some have lost their locating pins and had larger bolts tapped into place,although they do seem to sit ok.

Also got two barrel studs missing and the centre 4 are quite rusty are these easy to replace?

so thats why i was thinking it may be cost effective to get another motor

I know i will have to put a lot of money into the bike but dont want to waste money on things that may not be worth it. As there are quite a lot of 550 engines about replacements should be reasonably priced.

another problem/pic locknut scuffed from slide down the road and note repare to top of crankcase
            opinions please

Comment

My advice would be to look the thing over very closely and determine wether or not a complete rebuild is worth it. If most everything specs out OK, then you might as well just replace / repair the problem areas. If it looks as though you're going to be replacing several key parts, another engine may be the best way to go. Though it's hard to be sure what you're getting in a donor engine, without going through the same process.

I like to keep "Great Examples" original, right down to every nut an bolt (except for the intake tube bolts), especially VIN numbered parts however, that being said, if it is a marginal bike to begin with, then go nuts. Flip / flop pieces-parts, bob and cut, stretch, lower, have fun! You'll have to be the judge. \\/

Comment

Hello Bolton....

If you see Brian Potter rolling about send him an 'alright' from the USA....

Comment

i feel it being a Katana and i think a little bit rarer than most models i'd like to keep it close to original but not to every nut an bolt i like stainless fasteners and probably my own take on the colour scheme. I plan now is to rebuild the motor with pretty much the original parts (new gaskets and seals) and do a compression test to see if its worth rebuilding properly (camchain,valves rebore etc) i think its the original motor to the frame but can i find this out anywhere(frame#GS550M-102482 ENGINE#222233). does this sound like a viable idea?

Went for a drink at the Phoenix Club earlier and you want to see Potters new wheels:-D

Comment

Originally posted by barrykatona View Post
                    The engine was stripped down when i got it and I am worried about the following issues:-

Also got two barrel studs missing and the centre 4 are quite rusty are these easy to replace?
                    As there are quite a lot of 550 engines about replacements should be reasonably priced.

another problem/pic locknut scuffed from slide down the road and note repare to top of crankcase
                    opinions please
                    The repairs sound pretty expensive based on a top end job and some new cases. I'd say get another motor that's at least semi healthy and go from there. This motor appears to be terminally abused.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for replying big T I think i may be ****ing in the wind with this motor. Its probably cheaper to buy another bike with a decent running motor. At least then i will be able to use other parts of it ie. brakes etc as mine are all buggered anyway.

Is there any cudos in keeping the original engine nos.?

Comment

Working...
                      X