Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausts and Mufflers for an 81' 650E

Hey all - I'm after a little advice again

I recently had an absolute farce of an ebay purchase from TopShelfParts... I bought a MAC 4-into-2 exhaust system for my GS650L because it was nice and cheap... when I finally received it, it was a bloody 4-into-1 - not at all what I wanted. During the battle to try for a refund I actually sold my L and bought my delicious 650E - I got word last nite that if I send it back they'll give me my money back, yay!!!

Here's my quandry tho... the stock headers arent gonna last forever as they're pretty rusty already. Whats my chances of finding a replacement as cheap as the MAC system (it was $350 all in)... even though I hate the look of the muffler should I keep it for when my headers go and then i can find a seperate muffler that is pleasant for the eyes and ears? OR, should I send it back to the unscrupulous dealer and try find something when I actually need it?

I guess my main issue is that I've no idea where to purchase headers/mufflers and my local dealer seems to only get MAC systems for my bike and they're about $200 more expensive...

thoughts/suggestions?

thanks again
    D!

I don't think you have many choices in headers for a 650. You might want to check around before you send the one you have back.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      I don't think you have many choices in headers for a 650. You might want to check around before you send the one you have back.
      yeah, that was my gut-feeling... If I keep the headers I should be able to find alternative mufflers, shouldnt I? I'm guessing universal's would fit

Is there any difference, other than looks, between 4/2 and 4/1 headers?
      I'm trying to figure out whether to keep em, get a refund or get the guy to send me the 4/2 system...
      Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iDodgimus View Post
        Is there any difference, other than looks, between 4/2 and 4/1 headers?
        The big difference other than looks will be SOUND. There are few things that sound as sweet as a good 4-1 header. One of the few things that sounds better is a 6-1 header, but those came on three brands other than Suzuki. 8-[
        Anyway, the way the firing order runs, you will hear two exhaust pulses from the left pipe, then two from the right pipe, so it sounds a bit like a strange-running two cylinder bike.

Good luck finding another muffler to fit the MAC header. I have what I think is a MAC on my '82 650L
        and the collector is much larger than anything I have seen listed as the inlet size for a muffler.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

good luck

not much being available anymore 25 years on, and their probably wasn't that much back in the day either.

These days I've run across two other systems, both 4-into-1s, both more expensive than the Mac. There's this one:

or Motad makes a similar system for a similar price. They have a US distributor.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2007, 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
          X