Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel about JB Weld

Hi all,

Ok, here's the deal, I have an 81 GS850G that I paid 800 bucks for. I love this bike, but lately the small oil leak on the front of my engine has gotten worse and I don't have the money to buy gaskets or have the motor pulled to fix this. I have used JB Weld in the past to fix leaks like this. But now I am second guessing myself if this would be the best temporary fix. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Scott

JB is NOT Temporary. Try Re Torqueing the Head Bolts, That stopped a Leak on the Right Front of My 850.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Fix it right. Get the gaskets...
      Save coins....Cut back on the beer, whatever it takes. If you don't do it right, it'll return the favor by letting you down at the worst possible time. I promise. :-D

Comment

I would say go ahead and clean the area well and try it. Are you aware that there are two formulas of JB Weld? There is a quick-set version and the standard version. You will probably want to use the standard version as it tolerates heat about 100 degrees higher than the quick-set. Use plenty of brake cleaner spray or carb cleaner spray to clean the area, let it dry, then apply the JB. Be sure to go quite a bit wider than the area you suspect as the leak. You might just make a dam in front of the leak and force it to go farther sideways before it shows up.

Good luck, let us know how it works.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I vote "no" on the JB

On your post, it says you live in Maine. It'll be snowing there in another month or two and riding season will be done. Take the bike apart once it snows (that's free), buy the gaskets one at a time (one every payday). You'll be done before riding season starts and it shouldn't hurt too much. JB weld is a mother when you have to remove it. If you really like the bike, you'll want to fix it right eventually, right? So, do it right the first time. Just a thought.

Comment

I have tried JB Weld as a patch to stop an oil weep. Throughly cleaning the area and being certain it was oil free and allowing the JB to set for 24 hours without starting the bike was not sufficient to stop the oil weep. Within a couple of hours of running time, the oil had worked its way under the patch and reappeared at the patch edges, still dripping. Dont waste your time.
            Besides that, JB is difficult to remove when you want to do the job right.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

jb weld

Hi,
              I have just spoken to JB Weld Co. today because I have been using JB Weld on things for many years.
              I have the same problem on my 82 gs650L .
              It cost money for the gaskets and I have not had the experience of pulling that engine apart to get to the head gasket also.
              Have you used JB Weld before on head gaskets?
              I also figured it is the least expensive way to try to fix the problem.
              I just got the bike 2 weeks ago and there is alot of problems arising.
              Fork leaks , head gaskets, carbs. Something I never thought .
              Let me know what you are doing and how it comes out and how will you do it?
              Mel
              please email
              melalice2002@yahoo.com

Comment

What do I think about JB Weld?

I think it makes an excellent dessert topping, and a floor wax! :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  I think it makes an excellent dessert topping,

But does it stick to your ribs??

Comment

Oh, please, all jocularity aside, if applied as directed it will do the job that you want it to. :-D

I had a lowside crash on the Bandit that scrubbed thru the signal generator cover, and dumped 3 of the 5 qts of oil on the shoulder after the fact. Used J-B and some fglass mesh to cover the hole, and about 2 hours after the crash occurred, I was back on the road, with the J-B securing that hole in the cover. It was that way for at least the next 300 miles, and remained that way until I had a new cover to replace it with. The J-B was spread out over the area overlapping the cover by a half inch or more, inside and out.:arrow:

I also have it in the oil pump well, filling in where I had to grind out for the new screen to be installed. After having it in the hot oil on the Bandit, I have every faith in it being able to stand up in heat and petroleum. We've used it to patch the perennial rusting fuel tanks of the Yamaha Vision. Works fine if you prepare the area and apply as directed.:arrow:

Granted, the true fix should be replace the gasket. A bit of RTV will likely patch the bit that you need, until the gasket replacement is possible.

As always, YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      I have tried JB Weld as a patch to stop an oil weep. Throughly cleaning the area and being certain it was oil free and allowing the JB to set for 24 hours without starting the bike was not sufficient to stop the oil weep. Within a couple of hours of running time, the oil had worked its way under the patch and reappeared at the patch edges, still dripping. Dont waste your time.
                      Besides that, JB is difficult to remove when you want to do the job right.

Earl
                      Also clean the area very well and use clear fingernail polish. Then replace the gasket later and clean off the finger nail polish with acetone.

Comment

If metal pieces of the engine are broken, JB Weld may do the trick for you. But if you have a bad gasket, which sounds much more likely, it will be a waste of time and money. If it's a small leak, live with it for the rest of the riding season, then buy the manual and gaskets to do the job right. I've lived with a leaky head gasket for several thousand miles. It takes a lot more cleaning to live with it, but it beats not riding.
                        JP
                        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                        1992 Concours
                        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                        2007 FJR

Comment

It's one thing to patch a hole in a piece of metal with JB Weld, but patching a gasket leak will never work. The leak will move out of the gasket and then sideways underneath your patch until the oil gets the edge where it will find it's way out.

You are better off to replace the gasket and do the job right.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

o.k.

one persons opinion
                            j.b. weld is semi perminant.depending on where and how you put it all different. me i wouldnt use it.it really isnt a gasket.
                            what i do use is(for gaskets) black silcone . and brake cleaner or similar somthing that doesnt leave residue.clean the two faces.if you have oil it wont work.(on any of the faces)..put the silcone on one side at applied rate put them togeather and screw ,bolt or w.h.y.
                            wait time from tube . done never have a problem getting it off never leaks providing you do it right (no crap on the faces) . end of story make sure you use a new tube if you think its over 2 years old.
                            1104 is also good providing its new.the only gasket i use is the head gasket and i sill use 11o4 on the half moons.

Comment

jb weld

Question: When you are planning to apply it at the head gasket, how are you going to get it in the back by the carburetors into and in between the fins?
                              What type of tools are you planning to get in there?
                              Mel

Comment

Working...
                              X