Front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front wheel bearings

Developed a clicking sound in my front end. Sounds like bearings to me, I checked my spokes and used a screwdriver stethoscope to isolate noise. How long to repair and at what cost? 1979 GS 1000.

Have you ruled out the speedo drive gear? Mine seized up on my last summer, had to take it all apart and grease it.

Comment

$12 for bearings (6302 size, available about anywhere) and about 5 minutes once the front wheel is off.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

and the tool of choice is....

(at least MY choice. There are other opinions...).

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Wheel bearings

Yeah I looked at the speedo cable, did not disassemble. But the key is the front end is getting a little squirrelly, I was on a loose gravel road when the problem made itself noticibale. Got on some solid firm pavement still a little wiggly.

12 bucks sounds good and looks to be the route to take.

THANX...

Comment

real easy to do with a press..
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

just a thought, I thought I had grenaded the bearings once, but the rivets holding the fender on had become loose, and the whole thing was rattling, sounding like bearings
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Wheel bearings are easy and cheap.
                Replace them and also check the steering head bearings, check the swingarm and rear wheel bearings at the same time as they are all about the same age.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X