Disc brake question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc brake question...

My rear disc brake works OK but it's not possible to "lock it up". I've changed the pads, bled it, changed the fluid and, upon inspection, it looks to be in really good shape. Shouldn't I be able to lock it up...easily?? I've done the same things to the front brake and it's awesome. Thanks for any good advice!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

You should be able to lock it up for sure. Sounds like you need either a rear brake pump rebuild or a rear caliper rebuild; or both. Or the old rubber brake line is expanding and you are losing braking power there.

The caliper and pump are a fairly easy and inexpensive job, I would do all three and you should have no more rear brake problems for the next ten years.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Not good

Thanks for the information...I was afraid something wasn't quite right. I would appreciate any tips on how to go about the job and where I should buy the parts...should I use OEM parts or aftermarket? How about the brake line? It's old so I think I'll change that too. Thanks!

Comment

Re: Not good

Originally posted by chuckycheese
        Thanks for the information...I was afraid something wasn't quite right. I would appreciate any tips on how to go about the job and where I should buy the parts...should I use OEM parts or aftermarket? How about the brake line? It's old so I think I'll change that too. Thanks!
        You'll probably have to go OEM on the caliper/pump seals. I looked all over about a month ago and could not find an aftermarket source.
        If you find one post it back here please. The OEM items are pretty spendy.
        If you can get the part numbers, www.ronayers.com has the best prices I've found for OEM parts.

Comment

Replace the line first, as its' expanding is most probably the problem, take it from there, chances are, if neither the master or caliper are leaking, they're OK

Comment

While you're replacing the line, I would go with a stainless steel braid line. Works great, looks cool, and wouldn't cost that much.

Comment

brakes

This alll sounds pretty encouraging. The existing brake line is OEM and original, I'm sure. I think I'll switch it first because everything else looks good. The only place I've seen them is in Dennis Kirk....where you order by length. Are there good aftermarket lines made specifically for my bike?

Comment

I'd like to know that too. What I saw in Dennis Kirk a) wasn't an exact lenght match and b) requires seperate banjo fittings. That runs into well over a buck fifty for all the lines, seems kinda pricey to me.

Comment

Working...
                X