Front Brake Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Switch Question

I was having difficulties with the front brake light switch and took it apart. It seems that the rounded piece of copper under the lever has a spring inside it that has corroded. Any idea where I can find a spring this size without having to order online?

There is a good chance you still have one on the other end of the handlebars. :shock:

Yup, the clutch switch is identical. You can take parts out of it, then go inside the headlight shell and bypass the clutch switch. Now you will not have to pull the clutch to start the bike, but you had better make SURE it's in neutral before pushing the START button.

Oh, and if you want to keep the function of the clutch switch and repair the brake switch, it makes more sense to replace the entire switch when you do that. Not only will you get a new spring, but new contacts, wiring, housing, everything. It's #6 on this diagram from Bike Bandit, and it's only $18 and change.

Last edited by Steve; 10-25-2007, 05:01 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I lost one of those little springs over the summer..

i just cut up a pen spring that happen to be a little narrower than most.

Comment

clutch switch is already disengaged, but i'll check for the spring.

and a PEN! of course. mighter than Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by baco99 View Post
          Any idea where I can find a spring this size without having to order online?
          My local Ace hardware store has a BUNCH of small springs, sold 5 at a time in little plastic bags. They're pretty cheap (like $2), & sorted by length & dia. so just match up what you need & you'll have a lifetime supply.

I don't recall the size I bought, but perhaps someone remembers the dimensions of that spring - bring the little copper pc with you & you can figure it out.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The whole switch assembly is $6 at Partsnmore. The only problem is that there is a $35 minimum order. I usually stock up on oil filters and other miscellaneous stuff when I order from them.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

the pen spring was a little wide, but did the trick. just took the bike out for a 10 miler to check things out and everything seems in order. the front brakes are still a little spongy...will bleed them again. and the exhaust still creeps out the header gaskets, despite them being new. other than that, it's great! pulls like a freight train compared to my old GS500E...

Comment

Working...
              X