Parts Interchangeability??save$$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts Interchangeability??save$$$

Hi,does anyone know if the head stock bearings from a GS700(16V) will fit into a '77 gs550 headstock?And are the 550 bearings size used on any other bikes.Also does any other bike use the same starter moter as a GS550ES (16V).
    Does anyone know of a helicoil kit available for a ' 83 gs550es (16v) spark plug hole and can they shine any light on using this ?Thanks from Ireland.

Filthymac,
    Thought I would reply since no one else has. I really have no answers to your questions, but think you maybe able to find some answers by searching a parts diagram from alphasports or bikebandit comparing different models to see where parts were interchangeable.
    I think you can find a helicoil kit for the 550 since it uses a 12mm plug NGK D8EA. I know this isn't the garden variety 14mm like most plugs, but surely someone carries helicoils for it.
    By the way welcome to the forum, don't forget the search feature.

Comment

Waterman

Thanks for your sole reply,your a friendly and helpful fella!

Comment

Probably, your 77 GS550 uses the same bearings as my 77 GS750. They are:

GS750 Bearings (maybe the 550 too)
        Upper: 25mm x 48mm x 16mm
        Lower: 27mm x 48mm x 14mm
        (ID X OD X Hight)

The GS700 has different dimensions, so they are not interchangable:

GS700 Bearings
        Upper: 25mm x 47mm x 15mm
        Lower: 30mm x 55mm x 17mm
        (ID X OD X Hight)

You might be able to swap the whole front end, in which case you would need to order from All Balls Racing and get the correct sizes.

To swap, you would need:
        Upper: 25mm x 48mm x 16mm (AllBalls # 99-3507)
        Lower: 30mm x 48mm x 14mm (AllBalls #99-3503)
        (ID X OD X Hight)

Comment

Working...
        X