Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bike: lots to learn! (82 GS750T)

Alrighty!

So i just put some $$ down on my next bike, a 1982 GS750T, and of course, before buying anything, i did some net research. Well, doing research on the 750T basically told me that it was a fairly uncommon GS variant, and that information was kinda sparse.

So i'm calling out to all you GS experts for additional information about this bike...

What is its closest relative? What kind of engine (2 valve, 4 valve) does it have? When reading through posts, what will apply to me?

Anyway a little history about the bike: I'm the third owner, it was bought in 82 in Arnprior Ontario, driven lightly (16,000Km) for the first 7 years of it's life, then stored for 9 years. It's first owner passed away, and the bike was given/bought by a co-worker, who fixed it up and put 20000 Km in 5 years on it. It's got new brakes, tires, seat, chain, redone valves, and when i rode it yesterday (first time out since the winter) it was smoother then most bikes i've previously ridden.

One thing i did notice was the clutch stuck a little in first... is this normal?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all info, I'm sure i'll have plenty of questions.

Oh, here's a pic:

[/img]

4 valve head my friend. Closest relative is the GS750E model. All engine related info for the E,L and T apply to your ride. Suspension and frame are somewhat different and info here is only really related to the L and T models as the E was considered more sporting. Years are 1980 to probably 83 or 84.

OOps, my mistake, the closest bike to yours is the L, not the E. The main difference between the L and T is that the L had triple disc brakes and the T didn't.

Comment

Good to know!

Actually, the first project i was thinking of taking on was to replace the front wheel with a spoked wheel, if that's even possible. I'd like to get double discs in the front if i can, any idea what would be involved in this?

Thanks for the info, let's me know where i'm heading with this thing

Comment

Double discs in front would require the forks and wheel of the L model. The rim is drilled for double disc on the L( plus the disc is already there) and it doesn't look like you have caliper mounting ears on your right fork leg so you would need the other leg off the L plus the right side caliper and the piece under the headlight where the brake lines tee in.

Comment

Beautiful machine! IMHO, the addition of cast wheels and especially tubless tires are one of the great safety advances in the last 20 or so years. Tubless tires run cooler and thus may last longer, but most importantly, when you get a nail in one, provided the nail stays in the tire, it most likely won't rapidly deflate. A spoked wheel with a tube deflates MUCH more quickly. I have personal experience with a nail in the rear tire (tubless) going hundreds of miles with almost no air loss.

Comment

Thanks for the Info and the complements!

I was pretty amazed at the condition of the bike when i first saw it. There's a decal tear on the other side of the tank tho I'm thinking of taking all the accessories off and riding it pure stock for a while. (the bike will be taken to halifax this summer, after i get used to it)

I must admit, i really like the look of spoked in the front better, but its good to know why the switch was made.

Are there any "fake" spoked wheels which are actually tubeless and safer?

Comment

That is a 4valve per cylinder engine. I don't know anything about those wheels but I bet they need tubes anyway so don't worry too much about spoked wheels being less safe. The rims will say tubeless on them if that is what they are. If you want tubeless spoked wheels you'll need to buy a BMW.

The GS1100E/T models mag wheels are fully interchangeable with spoked wheels. Maybe yours are too.

And take off the windshield, that thing is huge! :P

Steve

Comment

WEll, first off, I think youre better off to keep the mag wheels. On another note though, if youre determined to go with spoked wheels, my 79GS 750 came stock with spoked wheels and single front disk, single rear disk. My spoked wheels and your mags I believe are directly bolt on interchangable with no mods needed. If youre interested, I would swap you even, my spoked set for your mag set. You would still have only a single front disk though. You can PM me if youre interested.

Earl

Originally posted by king88mob
                Good to know!

Actually, the first project i was thinking of taking on was to replace the front wheel with a spoked wheel, if that's even possible. I'd like to get double discs in the front if i can, any idea what would be involved in this?

Thanks for the info, let's me know where i'm heading with this thing
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Per Nick a while back, the 1982 wheels will be suitable for tubeless tires and like srivett said, it should be cast "tubeless" or something like that somewhere on the wheel.

Comment

Can't really help much but just thought I'd say 'Welcome' to another TZ model rider.
                    If you're looking for parts you may find that bits from a GSX750E will fit. I have a brake lever and alternator cover gasket from a GSX on my bike. I think someone told me that the front forks will fit too.

Cheers
                    Roger

Comment

TEMS: Woohoo! there is another!

ANything i should know about our (rare?) bikes? Could you confirm something for me? the front and rear tires, are they tubeless?

do you know if the 750TZ was a canadian only model? it seems every time i see a reference to the model, it's from a canuck.

The fact that our closest relative is the GS750E, does that mean we have a more "performance" oriented cruiser then the L? or is it just a case of common parts, not making the same whole?

Comment

This bike's wheels are definitely designed to accept tubeless tires. That is a definite advantage.

Beautiful 750. Enjoy it, take care of it, and appreciate it.

Nick

Comment

The main idea if I remember right is to provide a slightly less expensive machine than the L model. Disc brakes all around cost money so a single disc and a drum brake is less costly.Also they omitted the adjustable damping shocks out back and I'm not sure about the air forks. Do you have air adjustable front forks? It was a cost thing I suppose. A GS750 punch with less frills. But it doesn't mean it's less of a bike, just shy a few easily changed parts.

Comment

Well, i definately know that i have air adjustable fronts, and the spring rate is adjustable in the back, though i'm not sure about dampening (i'll have to check the manual I htink it is, but we'll see)

I'm getting totally psyched to get this bike, despite the snow we got today!

I get it safetied on the 13th, and then a tune-up, and we ride!

I've already contaced replicadecals.com to get a replacement left tank decal made (i'm already hooked)

I'll have to seriously consider swapping the front for a spoked wheel, i'm not a huge fan of the idea of not having a tubless front tire. Also, I'm not sure what GS's came with a 19" front with a single disk in front.

Meh. Let's get it here first, then worry about the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by king88mob
                              TEMS: Woohoo! there is another!

ANything i should know about our (rare?) bikes? Could you confirm something for me? the front and rear tires, are they tubeless?

do you know if the 750TZ was a canadian only model? it seems every time i see a reference to the model, it's from a canuck.

The fact that our closest relative is the GS750E, does that mean we have a more "performance" oriented cruiser then the L? or is it just a case of common parts, not making the same whole?
                              Yes, the tyres are tubeless. Don't know if it was a Canadian only model but I think you may well be right. It certainly wasn't imported here to the UK. Finding parts here can be a nightmare which is why I order a lot of my stuff from www.motorbiketoronto.com. You seem to have found out more about the model than I ever have.
                              I'd avoid spoked wheels. Also, my preference is for flatter handlebars.
                              I do know that I love my/our bike.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X