No announcement yet.

New bike: lots to learn! (82 GS750T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its basically an E without the triple discs and different styling. I had one until a car ran it over in a parking lot one day . For the dual disc front you'll need the fork legs/leg from an E model. They do fit. There is a one inch difference in height between the T and E models, the T is shorter. The height difference is in the upper tubes only. So if you replace the entire front end you'll end up 1" higher in the front and have slower steering(more of a chopper ).... the biggest advice I have is to take care of your seat pan. DO NOT let it rust. You will not find another one, trust me.

The T models were only made in '82 and '83

You should have rebound adjustment on the rear suspension (mine did anyway).

Here's a pic of 1 with spokes

talk to fgk1957 at the GS bikes Yahoo group about the spoke conversion...

Comment

Good to know. Can i replace only the bottom half of the front end and keep the same height?

When i took the bike for a test ride, the front seemed strong enough.. Mayby i won't bother doing the switch for a while. we'll see..

Comment

Do you still have 1 inch extra after pushing the fork tubes up against the bottom of the handlebars?

Comment

Originally posted by king88mob
          Good to know. Can i replace only the bottom half of the front end and keep the same height?

When i took the bike for a test ride, the front seemed strong enough.. Mayby i won't bother doing the switch for a while. we'll see..
          Yes you can. Every thing from your T will fit the E lowers. I know this because I used the T upper tubes on my E to lower the front 1 Inch. One more thing I forgot to mention, you'll need the wheel, both discs and both calipers from the E. The disc that is on the T is bigger than the dual E discs. which means that you'll need both fork lowers too for the proper offset.

Oh,BTW The T model was Suzuki's first attempt at a sport/touring machine. Sales were slow so they dropped it after two years production. I wish I still had mine. It was tons more fun than my current E model

Good luck and be careful,
          -Tim

Comment

Ok, so would it be worth it to swap over to a two disc system, or is the stopping power on the T good enough?

My two main reasons for wanting to swap the front end were that i was worried about the stopping power of 1 disk + 1 drum, and that i liked the look of spoked wheels in the front a lot.

I didn't however realize that the spoked wheels were tubed, and that the swap would be so... involved.

Comment

Maybe you could get a dual disc wheel and remove the right hand disc. The guys who designed these Suzukis did a very good job in making the parts of most bikes interchangeable. ie. if it looks like it will fit it probably will (you could stuff an 1100E in your bike and from what I've heard I can stuff a 2003 500E into mine)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by king88mob
                Ok, so would it be worth it to swap over to a two disc system, or is the stopping power on the T good enough?
                yes its definately worth it. the single disc is woefully inadequate... espescially with 2 up riding.

My two main reasons for wanting to swap the front end were that i was worried about the stopping power of 1 disk + 1 drum, and that i liked the look of spoked wheels in the front a lot.

I didn't however realize that the spoked wheels were tubed, and that the swap would be so... involved.
                the switch is not actually that hard. loosen the bolts that hold the fork tubes, slide them out the bottom and disassemble accordiing to the fork oil change procedure in the haynes manual. when reassembling, just use the parts from an E. its just that simple :twisted:

Comment

Looks like I'm not alone! I just got mine this weekend.

I've got alot more questions than answers.

Here's my GS750T

First order of business is to find the oil leak. The carbs also seem to be leaking a little. Looks like I've got some reading to do 8O

Comment

GS750TZ

A am also the owner of an '82 "T" model. Looks just like yours except for the windscreen, crashbars (have both, just different). My bike also has a rear rack with adjustable back rest.

Parts are hard to locate for this beast!

Mike in Minneapolis

Comment

Working...
                    X