No announcement yet.

Oh poo...Now I need fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State inspections must be a real pain in the arse. Thank goodness there's none in FLA. If I were you though I would check your air pressure in forks per spec, then when correct, push down hard and quick with some shoulders and see if she is bouncy. If there is no second bounce your seals are good. If she starts bouncing schedule an appointment at a different inspection station and blast em with a quick shot of air at a gas station that is close to your inspection point. This will make them stiff for inspection and make sure there are no fluid leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by baco99 View Post
      that's what i thought. massachusetts is known for taxation and procedure. i think the kid just wanted me to drop $300 to have his shop replace perfectly good fork seals. when i told him i'd do it myself, he looked shocked.

i'm just gonna wait it out until January and take it to my usual shop on a clear day. i don't think i'll have a problem there.
      Good for you, Baco! Sometimes, folks try to take advantage, and are shocked when you take that away from them. Why didn't you take this to your "usual" shop in the first place?

BTW, you DO NOT need air to get the allens loose, a hand held impact driver will do the job. I had to do the deed on mine before inspection, didn't have air or access to it. The driver did the trick coming out and goin' back in.

Comment

Took the bike to the shop today to get my safety inspection
        ??? Something tells me I'm glad I live in WI.

What the heck is a "safety inspection"? In WI, you get it a plate and you ride. I know idiots who ride with no front brake (REAL idiot), and bad lights, etc..etc..etc.. but I've never heard of a safety inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by davewallen View Post
          I know idiots who ride with no front brake (REAL idiot), and bad lights, etc..etc..etc..
          LOL, that's why we HAVE safety inspections. to save the idiots from themselves.

they check, headlight, hi-beam, turn signals, horn, brakes, tires, and front forks. they also check riding position to make sure hand grips aren't above the shoulders. have to have proof of insurance to ride also.

that's about it.

they were talking about a dB meter, but i think that idea was squashed.

Comment

I had the same thing hppen to me back in July. I went to the small local shop I had trusted for years and all they wanted to do was sell me a newer bike...I ranted in another thread about the whole stupid thing. Anyhow, I took it to a new shop that had just openned up that specialized in old import bikes...she passed with just a new hose clamp and a tighened head bearing. The other shop basically told me the bike was beyond repair. I almost reported them to Penndot.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

they were talking about a dB meter, but i think that idea was squashed.
              That's the only idea I would go along with. I live a mile from a country stop sign.

WI DOT has already disproven the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. I think they should modify it to "loud pipes cause road rage".

Comment

Originally posted by nabrams View Post
                Hey Gary,

You got a pic of your Triumph we can see?
                Those bikes are beauties.
                Here is a link to a pic of my Triumph Bonneville (took 2nd place in the British catagory at the 2006 Old Motorcyle show in Snohomish Washington)

Comment

LOL, that's why we HAVE safety inspections. to save the idiots from themselves.
                  I wonder how many states that have "SAFETY INSPECTIONS to save idiots from themselves" also have no Helmet Law ?

Comment

Working...
                  X