Clear All

gs850

hi was any of the gs850 models chain driven?thanks

hi was any of the gs850 models chain driven? if so which models thanks

Comment

Shaft only.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Only those made by grafting 850 top end onto a 750 engine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As Stated, All 850's are Shaftys. They were offered in "G" (standard) and "L" Cruiser) Styles but with the Very Capable Shaft Drive Only.:-D
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

The only other major differences that I am aware of: 1979 (the first year) had points, VM carbs and a kick starter.
            In mid-'82 the head and valve cover were re-designed to add 3 more bolts to hold the valve cover on.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The only other major differences that I am aware of: 1979 (the first year) had points, VM carbs and a kick starter.
              In mid-'82 the head and valve cover were re-designed to add 3 more bolts to hold the valve cover on.

After '79 they also changed the front brakes, throttle cable, fitted air over oil shocks and down graded the metal quality of the cam chain adjuster tension rod and the drive splines on the diff assembly. There's probably one or two other refinments that we have missed!!
              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                As Stated, All 850's are Shaftys. They were offered in "G" (standard) and "L" Cruiser) Styles but with the Very Capable Shaft Drive Only.:-D
                BWAHAHAHA - No, they only came with the low performance, heavy, inefficient shaft drive.
                Real motorcycles came with the high performance, lighter, more efficient chain drive.:-D:-D:-D

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  BWAHAHAHA - No, they only came with the low performance, heavy, inefficient shaft drive.
                  Real motorcycles came with the high performance, lighter, more efficient chain drive.:-D:-D:-D
                  Just what you'd expect from a kid, no appreciation of refinements!
                  I wonder what the actual cost is in chains and labour over a 200K bike life span, not to mention the inconvenience!
                  Many who seek to gain more weight saving and performance fit the light weight 530 chains and probably do so on a more regular basis. Mind you the price is right. Yeah right!!
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Now George, You know that Brian will design a special Punishment for such Blasphemy!:shock:

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

This is getting ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Shake View Post
                        This is getting ugly.
                        Not at All. :-D Do a Search for Shaft VS Chain and You will find that this Dead Horse has been Beat on Many times over the Years.:shock:

Where I've been Riding

Comment

It's O.K., really. I was just teasing him. We know each other; we spent an afternoon in Ohio taking his bike apart. (Probably caused by the driveshaft, no doubt. )

Comment

It's O.K., really. I was just teasing him. We know each other; we spent an afternoon in Ohio taking his bike apart. (Probably caused by the driveshaft, no doubt. )
                            Now You made Me Laugh Out Loud George! :-D

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                              Now You made Me Laugh Out Loud George! :-D
                              8)

Comment

Working...
                              X