550 Katana 750 engine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 Katana 750 engine ?

Decided that the engine on my 550 Katana ptoject is goosed so will locate a new motor. Can anyone help with the following questions to aid me in my search.

What other gs550's models/year's have the same engine ie. no kickstart and 6 speed box?

or what are the downfalls of perhaps sticking a Gs750 motor in there presuming of course that it would fit. frame strength brakes etc

Ohhh the possibilities.

nice pick of original ignition/points cover

Can't answer all of your question in detail, but I am under the impression that any year 550 should fit. Kick starters ended in 1979.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Kick starts are so bad ass. I wish my 81 had one. I don't really know the details about engine size and what the compatability is but I do know that the 850 has a 5 speed gear box so thats out of the question. My best guess is that a 750 should fit in there. But oh imagine the possibilities of gs1000 engine in there \\/

Comment

I think Gs1000 engine might be taking it a bit far how would I stop and would the frame hold up to it??????????

Besides would it drop in without frame mods?

Comment

1. My best bet would be no. From what I've heard these frames already come pretty weak.
          2. I honestly doubt it but I could be wrong.

And as for stopping it would be a good excuse to throw some late model braking gear of a gsxr on your bike

Comment

750 will NOT fit without alot of welding/modifying.

The 650 chain motor will fit with very little work.

Or you could be like me and turn your 550 into a 740cc motor.

1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

There's a member here, I forget his name, who put a 650 head on a 550 motor. I believe it's got all the same dimensions except for the stroke, even the 550 exhaust matches. I think all the tags still say 550 so it's a bit of a sleeper.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                There's a member here, I forget his name, who put a 650 head on a 550 motor. I believe it's got all the same dimensions except for the stroke, even the 550 exhaust matches. I think all the tags still say 550 so it's a bit of a sleeper.
                That would be the member who posted in this thread right before you... :-D

Comment

Working...
                X