Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator

1980 gs850,
    bought the bike a few weeks ago, got the engine running good, took it for its first ride and when i got home the battery was dead. I got a new r/r but that didnt do it, finally bought a multimeter and im only getting about 4 Vac across the stator wires. is this a stator replacement problem or are there other things i should look for b4 i buy a stator and crack open the engine. when i do that, what should i look out for. thanks,
    luke

Have you read the Stator Papers? :-D

Comment

You Do NOT have to "Crack Open" the Engine, the Stator is located under the Left casing as You sit on the bike. With the bike on the side stand You will only lose 1/2 quart or less Oil. Basscliff just posted a Great Pictorial here http://www.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ on Replacing the Stator on an 850 Recently. Between the Stator papers found in the garage section of the GSR Home page and Cliff's Post You should be able to replace it with minimal Trouble. (I know, "Famous last words"):-D
      Last edited by marvinsc; 10-27-2007, 10:42 PM. Reason: added link
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

And possibly get a low priced stator from the Truckload that PaulyBoy is bidding for on Ebay... Go put your request in on that thread, Luke.

Comment

Basscliff has a tutorial for this. Click here

Also look up corndog67. He's in your area. Hope he doesn't mind me saying.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Basscliff has a tutorial for this. Click here

Also look up corndog67. He's in your area. Hope he doesn't mind me saying.

If you have only 4 volts output from the stator then you do need to replace it. The manual recommends that you drain the engine oil before doing this, and I did that the first time I tried a repair, but it is not necessary.

Put the bike on the centrestand before doing it, and keep some absorbent material at hand because some oil will be lost, but it may be only 3 to 4 ounces.

I have done it with no loss, as someone else leaned the bike against himself so the angle kept all the oil inside while I popped the cover, did a quick repair and replaced it all. (My compliments to Tim White for that. He happens to be a BIG man....and he has a big heart, too :-D )
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I don't drain the oil either. Don't tell Cliff. ;-)
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

sweet, sounds like it wont be that bad, just got to find one now

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  I don't drain the oil either. Don't tell Cliff. ;-)
                  That's OK, I won't hold it against you. It just so happened that I needed an oil change anyway.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X