Air screw mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air screw mixture

Hi everyone. Going to venture into taking the carbs of my gs550 1981 today. Just 2 things. In the details on the site it makes reference to taking out the air screw. On my carbs there are silver tops covering the screws. How do i remove them and also how do i refit screw as in how do I know i have it screwd in enough?
    Eric In Dublin Ireland:shock:

Twist a small drill bit into the tiny hole in the cover, pull it out. Bin the covers, they are not needed. You may need some penetrating oil to get the screws to turn. Count how many turns out from lightly seated the screws are now, put them back in the same place as a starting point when you reassemble them. Use a good screwdriver that fits the screws snugly. Do not screw them in too tightly, the tips will break off in the jet and you will have problems.
    Good luck.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for Help

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. Im not sure if the air fuel mixture is set right as im not totally sure of history of bike. Will try what you said and thanks again.

Comment

If the little caps are still in place, it probably has never been adjusted. Other factors can effect mixtures, float levels, and all of the other tuning adjustments.
        How does it run now? Why are you taking the carburetors off anyway? Is there a problem with them or just cleaning because they probably need it? Is everything else set correctly? Valve clearances, timing, plug gaps, no vacuum leaks, good compression, all of it?
        If it runs now, do some plug chops first so you know what you are dealing with.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X