Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gs1000 what,can any one tell me what model I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000 what,can any one tell me what model I have?

I just bought my new1979 gs1000 and I cant tell what model it is. It didn't have the gas tank, side covers. The sticker on the trees and rear fender are gone. I know its not an L model for sure. I saw a thread that had all kinds of models with vins and engine numbers but I could not understand it. The free vin checks on the web ask for a 17 didget vin. I could tell you that the gauges are diferent first there not round its kind of ovel besides the speedo and rpm,s it does have a clock and temperture gage. If somenone could tell me how to figure it out I would appreciate it.I will give out my vin and engine number hoping somone could help me out. vin# gs1000526599 engine# gs1000143486 thanx.

Chain or shaft drive?

Shaft drive is G model. Chain is E and 79' would be an ET, or if you're lucky it's a GS1000S.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Like this?

Comment

8track, you are trying to confuse people. There were no "78" GS 1000 S's
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

8track thats exactly what it looks like. Redline its a chain.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2007, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alvinsan View Post
            8track thats exactly what it looks like. also its a chain.
            You have an "S"...:shock: And I hate you for it.

J/k, Good score. I want first dibs if you sell it.

Btw, here's your tank.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2007, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              8track, you are trying to confuse people. There were no "78" GS 1000 S's
              Whatchu talkin 'bout phillips?

Comment

GS1000S, you're a lucky man. Now get her fixed up and head out onto the roads, time to play at trying to kill yourself the fun way :-D

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                  You have an "S"...:shock: And I hate you for it.

J/k, Good score. I want first dibs if you sell it.

Btw, here's your tank.
                  It should also have cast (not wire) wheels and the rear wheel is 18", not 17"
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It does have cast wheels. Its at my brothers place so I cant check the rim size. But I still have doubt that its a gs1000s arnt those rare. can anyone check my vin. I dont whant to have my hopes up not that a gs1000 isnt good enough by its self but a gs1000s for $100 bucks I just cant belive it.

Comment

Originally posted by alvinsan View Post
                      It does have cast wheels. Its at my brothers place so I cant check the rim size. But I still have doubt that its a gs1000s arnt those rare. can anyone check my vin. I dont whant to have my hopes up not that a gs1000 isnt good enough by its self but a gs1000s for $100 bucks I just cant belive it.
                      Not that rare, and there are still numbers of them sitting in garages with people not realising what they are.

All 79' GS's had cast wheels, but I think it was only the S that had the 18" rear. The dash shot is also only from an S, the stndard N model didn't have the clock, fuel guage or temp guage, at least they didn't here in Aus/NZ

And any GS1000 for a hundred bucks is already a damned good buy if it doesn't have any major problems.

Comment

I went to my brothets house to day and it does have 18" rear wheel.
                        One reason I thought it wasnt a S was the brake light housing was black, but today that I saw it and took a closer look and the paint was chiping off and its actually white I did see a bit of light blue.
                        What I wanted to do to the bike was turn it into a bobber kinda like Issac but know that I know for sure its a wes cooley ( I checked the vin# and the eng# to another thread) I dont want to chop it up, I mean I'm sure some one here might whant to restore it. All I whant is a nice gs1000 to kick some ass, actually I kinda like the L model. I had gs650L had to sell it to pay for school. I think Im going to start another thread and see what happend. I know 8track might be interested.

Comment

PM me some pics. Btw, where are you? If you need a GS1000 Frame to whack up, I may be able to hook you up.

Comment

8track I just pm you but since Im not good with computers im not sure if you got it.

Comment

I got it.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2007, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X