Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650L clutch gasket needed

Hi all.

I gave my brother the beloved GS650L about a month ago... if you recall, he came back from IRAQ in July, and it was my gift to him from a loving brother for coming home safe... he was ELATED. :-D

But, it seems he rode it about two weeks and pulled up to a stoplight, and when he went to start up from the stop, the clutch cable went south. (Isnt' this how it always works?) :-|

So, he emails me that he is having a hard time finding a cable. (Lots of "it'll be in in about a month or so if you wanna order it....") So he calls me. I always end up being 'tech support' for anything I ever give to my family, so I'm not totally surprised... >sigh< So, I call my local GS indy-parts place and they happen to have a cable in stock. Talk about shock! \\/

I leave the part at home in a box so my brother can drive 85 miles to my house to get it. See, I have Guard that weekend so can't take it to him. HE comes and gets it while I'm gone and I soon expect I'll hear a "SUCCESS!" email from him....

Crickets chirp... nothing. For a week.

Finally, I start making inquiries of HIM. It seems he changed the cable, but something was amiss... so he starts asking God-knows-who for advice, and then starts dismantling stuff without knowing what he's doing. He seems to think the lower arm needs to be moved... but, he loses the bolt that holds the lower arm on the spline.. and even then, he says something 'isnt right' still... I gave him a Clymers manual (its all I had) and he says he can't find anything on clutches in it... >sigh<..... right. :-|

So today, I pulled my trailer the 85 miles to his house, load up the bike, and haul it back home. I pull the side cover off the clutch right away and guess what? I cant find ANYTHING WRONG... anyplace. But, well, its all apart now. And I can't really pull-test it as I still am missing the bolt for the pull-spline above the engine housing.

Now: Since I have EVERYTHING APART, it is apparent that I DEFINITELY need the little bolt replaced, as well as NOW needing a new clutch gasket since this one was destroyed when I pulled the cover.

I also have decided since its already apart, I should buy new clutch disks and just do the job now so he (me actually) won't have to worry about it again for a long time. Would you not agree? I don't think I need to replace the metal rings, just the fiber ones... maybe the pressure springs too for the pressure plate. Was going to order it all from BikeBandit, but since they don't have the gasket, I'm holding off... Looking for advice.

The problem? I can't find anyplace online that has the clutch cover gasket for my 82 GS650GLZ clutch cover. Nobody. Not Barnett, not Z1enterprises, not BikeBandit, not Dennis Kirk.

Anybody got any ideas where to go? I think the chances of my Suzuki dealer having that OEM part are about half of my odds of winning Power Ball.

Any help is TRULY needed and appreciated in finding this gasket.

Being a good brother is sometimes painful... But, its the right thing to do. I'd rather not have his bike in my garage all Winter... Can you help me?

Thank you! [-o<

Wayne
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2007, 10:11 PM.

ebay is your friend
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

maybe a happy ending...!

brveagle,

you ROCK...! I jumped on that gasket. we'll see if I can get this all back together in the next couple of weeks... Thank you!

\\/

Comment

Still need help finding a GS650&quot;L&quot; clutch gasket

Hi Everyone.

Here's a status update. :-|

I'm back, looking for help again. It turns out that the gasket I purchased on Fleabay for a "GS650" does NOT even come close to being the correct gasket for my "L" model.. I wrote back to the seller to ask if he sold one that does fit the "L", but not heard anything back yet.

A google for GS650L clutch gasket comes up DRY. Nada. I really REALLY HATE to spend more on an entire clutch gasket set than i spent on the rest of my brother's clutch parts. And, I still have no guarantee that any entire gasket set I might buy would truly FIT my bike.

Surely I'm not the only one to have need of a GS650L clutch gasket. Has anyone got a vendor/dealor that they know sells them?

Once again, any help is graciously appreciated...

p.s. I remember when i was a kid, my dad would buy a roll of gasket material and make his own valve cover gaskets... anyone think i might have any success doing that with this gasket? Can I buy gasket material these days?

Comment

i am 99% sure i have a 650 gasket kit that is missing the top end stuff but has the rest.

i'll check this weekend for the clutch gasket
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Mr. wharrah,

Do you need #3 in this picture?

That's from BikeBandit's parts fiche.
            GASKET,CLUTCH C (their part#) 477576-001 for $10.65.

They ship pretty quickly. Just another option if you can't find anything locally. There's also a gasket making pictorial guide on my website. Click the link in my sig.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Try this:

I have made a clutch gasket for 650g out of gasket roll material recently. I had purchased a gasket and decided to cut one out since I had a good one to start with. I can't say much about it since I have only driven bike up and down street several times. Seems to be holding oil in and clutch is releasing properly.

When you search for parts realize that your model is gs650gl not just gs650l. The g and gl models share most mechanical parts--engines, transmissions, but differ in cosmetics--seats, tanks, speedometer drives, rear wheel, etc. To add more confusion the 650e chain drive is closer to a gs550 than 650g. Btw, the clutch gasket you purchased should fit 650e and most early 550s. What is troubling is that some ebay sellers do not specify which model the parts are for.

With this info, Basscliff has maybe the best advice in going with Bikebandit or some other online retailer. The suzuki part number is 11482-34210 .

Comment

a Million thanks (again)

Basscliff and Waterman,

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for your efforts and time taken in trying to help me out. I swear I went to Bike Bandit yesterday and could not find clutch gaskets anyplace... I must not have searched well enough.

but I'll go there today, and order the part you specified. If its not it, then I'll go the 'roll my own' route and give that a go.

I'll let you all know how it goes... I may seek advice on how to adjust the clutch when it goes back together. The Clymers I have doesn't seem to address that at all really.

Wayne

Comment

Ebay not identify specific models...

This is the exact gasket I bought and it does not come close to fitting my GS650GL (correctly identified here... )

Here's what I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...009908353&rd=1

So, BikeBandit will get my money next. Then the homemade version will happen as a last-resort.

Comment

Bike Bandit woes...

ok, Guys.

here I am again.

The BikeBandit site says (when I put this gasket into my cart) that it is for a GS650GD (NOT GL).

Am I hosing myself again? I searched on the exact part number you gave me. :shock:

Delete
                    Qty.

BikeBandit.com
                    Part NumberDescriptionUnit PriceYour PriceTotal

Price
                    477576-001

GASKET,CLUTCH C 1983 Suzuki GS650GD CRANKCASE - COVER

$10.65

Subtotal:
                    $10.65

Comment

Hmmm, when I added part #477576-001 to my cart while viewing the fiche for the 82 GS650GLZ it looked something like this:
                      Delete
                      Qty.
                      BikeBandit.com
                      Part Number
                      DescriptionUnit PriceYour PriceTotal
                      Price
                      477576-001
                      $10.65 $10.65 $10.65
                      Subtotal:
                      $10.65

I hope that graphic works. I'm sure that's the correct part number. Be careful I think those links are live.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

wharrah,

Not trying to beat a dead horse but there is a difference in the two gaskets from the ebay links. One has 3 large holes while the correct one only has 1 large hole. I almost bought the incorrect one until I did a little more checking--meaning I dug the old gasket out of my trashcan!

As for the bikebandit part, it is the correct part. Bikebandit uses their own numbering system for suzuki parts while other sites will use suzuki oem part numbers. I look up parts at alphasports and then go to my local dealer with part numbers. I figure the cost is comparable and I get to look at new bikes for free.

I think part of the confusion is that bikebandit refers to this part for a gs650gD which designates a 1983 model (the D code refers to 1983). Technically your bike is gs650GLZ and my 81 is a gs650gX. They didn't change clutch covers during the production from 81 to 83. There are some differences in other areas between the 81 and 82 engines, specifically they changed valve cover bolt patterns and added a bolt in later versions. Again this is shaft drive models that I refer to.

After installing gasket, there really isn't any clutch adjustment, just adjust cable slack.

Not sure what you have done with clutch? Did you replace plates and fiber rings? Generally, they last a long time. Did you check spring height? If not they are cheap, just pick up with gasket from bike bandit.

Comment

hey

hi, did you find a gasket yet? I might have one laying around..but I won't know for sure until probably tomorrow..I have the exact same bike. I know you've helped me with side covers before...and now my Suzi died on the way back from Sturgis so I won't be needing the gasket if I still have it. My email is bestinshow18@yahoo.com. let me know
                          Mikkell

Comment

part is on order...

Hi everyone.

Ok, a rerun of the search on BikeBandit.com site got me the same "correct" gasket as Basscliff showed me a bit ago... so do'nt know what happened the first time.

I bought new springs, new disks (but just kept my own metal spacers, as they appear fine). I could not find the little throwout bearing roller bearing anyplace though... mine still looks good, so I'll just reuse it.

My brother tried replacing the cable when it broke and for some reason could not get things to work... so I took it back and am just replacing the clutch "for the peace of mind"... I hope to get thru this with as little difficulty as possible.

Mikkell, thank you so much for your offer of a gasket...! I'm saddened to hear your bobber bit the dust... I was away from the GSR site for awhile this summer while on Active duty, so maybe I missed what happened to it if you posted it... It was a cool bike. I assume you found a way to mount the solo seat you had.

I'll let everyone know what happens with this little project. I'm sorry to have sounded so paranoid here. I am not good enough at the pics to be able to tell which of those ebay gaskets was the right one, but I bought the one presented initially in this thread, and, as it turned out, it was wrong... No harm, no foul, I'm just paranoid about buying parts like that on Ebay if they aren't specific about what they fit...

Thanks folks... news at 11.

Comment

Originally posted by wharrah View Post
                              Hi Everyone.

Here's a status update. :-|

I'm back, looking for help again. It turns out that the gasket I purchased on Fleabay for a "GS650" does NOT even come close to being the correct gasket for my "L" model.. I wrote back to the seller to ask if he sold one that does fit the "L", but not heard anything back yet.

A google for GS650L clutch gasket comes up DRY. Nada. I really REALLY HATE to spend more on an entire clutch gasket set than i spent on the rest of my brother's clutch parts. And, I still have no guarantee that any entire gasket set I might buy would truly FIT my bike.

Surely I'm not the only one to have need of a GS650L clutch gasket. Has anyone got a vendor/dealor that they know sells them?

Once again, any help is graciously appreciated...

p.s. I remember when i was a kid, my dad would buy a roll of gasket material and make his own valve cover gaskets... anyone think i might have any success doing that with this gasket? Can I buy gasket material these days?
                              Are you talking about the clutch cover gasket???? Just go to www.bikebandit.com and order it.

Comment

Working...
                              X