Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana 550 Rewire

Hi guys,

Whilst i am looking for my replacement engine i have been having a look at the electrics.And they look about as good as the engine

Was wondering if anyone had info on rewiring the bike (hopefully with less bulky harness) and perhaps with better alternative parts (Honda R/R i hear people talking about)

As it is a complete rebuild i would feel better with a modified rewire with less wires and more modern parts.

Ideas and opinions please.

THIS KAT WILL WAIL AGAIN (just not sure when)\\/

Hopefully this will help you fro the R/R conversion.

Comment

Several rough guides have been posted. One suggested supplier was

www.midwestactioncycle.com.

I'm pretty sure that NAPA can get almost everything.

Other advice I've read (little experience myself)

>Use genuine Moles connectors and crimping tools
      >Don't use cheap crimping tools - their connections suck.
      >Use dielectric grease/compound to keep air and moisture out of connections. It shoud make corrosion take a lot longer.
      >Use the same gauge of wire as stock. Larger gauges are harder to route and less flexible. If heavier wire is used, make pieces a bit longer to compensate for larger radius turns.
      >Remove all tape around the harness to expose all connections.
      >Replace one wire at a time.
      >Use different colors, stock if possible. Trying to figure out which wire is which without color codes can make repair and troubleshooting take forever.
      >Work slowly and patiently.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I just started rewiring my 85 GS550, took all the tape off, greased all the connections and replaced corroded ones. I checked the continuity of every connection, time consuming but worth it.

Comment

Thanks for that guys and thanks for the great picture. Looks like i have a task to occupy those long cold winter nights.:-D

Comment

Working...
          X