Advice on Upgrade of 81 GS750E forks to 82 or 84 GS750E fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Upgrade of 81 GS750E forks to 82 or 84 GS750E fork

I have an 81 GS750E with the original forks (14K miles). They work OK. I am looking for advice on the following:

1. Rebuild the original forks (35mm?).

2. Replace original forks with rebuilt 82 GS750E units (35mm?) which adds anti-dive but allows re-use of original front wheel and triple trees, etc.

3. Replace original forks with rebuilt 84 GS750E units which has anti-dive but requires the use of a 16" front wheel (I believe). I don't know the mm so I don't know if the original triple trees can be reused.

Option 1 requires my bike to be out of commission for weeks.

Option 2 least down time, retains most original parts.

Option 3 Less down time, more changes from stock including changing to 16" front/17" rear rims.

I really don't want to go the fabbed GSXR route. I want to retain the original headlight/instruments and the "stock" look as much as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't have an answer, just curious why rebuilding the current forks would take weeks. Are they damaged?

Comment

Rebuilding your forks shouldn't take more than a few hours. Last time I did a set it took about 2 hours. IMO the antidive units were a failed experiment in the early to mid 80's, else bikes today would still have them. For what it's worth my suggestion is to rebuild your original forks.

Comment

I want to send them to Race-Tech for rebuilding/upgrading with all new bushings springs, seals, o-rings, etc.

Even if I was to do the work myself, I would have to take the forks off, possibly obtain specalty tools, disassemble the forks, determine which parts need replaced, order those parts from the dealer, wait at least one week for the parts to come in, hope they arrive on time and complete, order other upgrade parts from Works Performance or Race-Tech, wait for everything to arrive, reassemble, hope everything goes perfect...

I was told by the dealer that it would take at least 2 weeks to rebuild the with stock parts.

Comment

84 GS750E forks are the same size as my 83 GS750E-37mm. Don't bother with Anti-dive- this was an 80's fad that offers no real benefit. I removed and blanked off the Anti-dive units years ago as they use brake pressure to operate(ie. rob pressure from the front calipers). I would change seals and fork oil, stiffen the front springs with pre-load adjusters (mine are Lockhart), add an aftermarket fork brace (mine is a Telefix) and a set of braided steel brake lines. This makes a good solid setup without changing stock steering geometry. Ride on, Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
            84 GS750E forks are the same size as my 83 GS750E-37mm. Don't bother with Anti-dive- this was an 80's fad that offers no real benefit. I removed and blanked off the Anti-dive units years ago as they use brake pressure to operate(ie. rob pressure from the front calipers). I would change seals and fork oil, stiffen the front springs with pre-load adjusters (mine are Lockhart), add an aftermarket fork brace (mine is a Telefix) and a set of braided steel brake lines. This makes a good solid setup without changing stock steering geometry. Ride on, Ed.
            Ed,
            Good post. Where did you get the preload adjusters? I've thought about that mod for a while.

Comment

The best upgrade is the 80-81 GS1100 front end which gives larger tubes(37mm) spring preload and rebound damping adjustment. But then you are into changing the triple trees also. I still have the stock front end on mine with Progressive springs and an air balance kit as well as a copy of an Ultimate Source fork brace to go on when the slushy weather is over and the garage quites flooding out. A total rebuild may not be necessary as I have 42000 plus and my bushings were still decent just needed new seals and oil. The new springs are my idea as quick riding is what I do when I'm alone and I like a firm feel.

Comment

Dan, bought them back about 15 years ago thru a parts warehouse. Don't know if Lockhart still makes them. Each has its own air valve on top and they are screw adjustable in preload. With the Anti-dive blocked off and braided steel lines, only 2 fingers are needed for max braking. I have had this bike since new and have had practically ever mod at one time or another. I see you are in NRHills, I live up in Frisco, hope to see you on the road one day. Ride On, Ed

Comment

Dan,

I've seen some on Ebay. NOS aftermarket stuff. They've been there a few times over the last couple of months. If I see another set I'll let you know.

Comment

Dan, bought them back about 15 years ago thru a parts warehouse. Don't know if Lockhart still makes them. Each has its own air valve on top and they are screw adjustable in preload. With the Anti-dive blocked off and braided steel lines, only 2 fingers are needed for max braking. I have had this bike since new and have had practically ever mod at one time or another. I see you are in NRHills, I live up in Frisco, hope to see you on the road one day. Ride On, Ed
                    I was in Frisco last Friday at a HS softball game. Small world. You know about the Spring Texas Hill country ride coming up on May 31- June 1. You don't live too far from Mark(shaftsuzuki) who lives in the Colony. Thanks for the info. See you on the rode. BTW how do you like the TL?
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                      Dan,

I've seen some on Ebay. NOS aftermarket stuff. They've been there a few times over the last couple of months. If I see another set I'll let you know.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                        Dan,

Thanks.

Comment

I have to keep my ears open for info on that ride. The TL is a blast-a real torque monster-nothing like I have ridden before being an inline-4 guy. Just put a set of Yosh RS3's race pipes on it. Sounds incredible. The bike is just now fully broken in-2500 miles-and I am still learning to appreciate what it can do. The one bad thing is that it has put my 750E project on the backburner. It needs a clutch basket, stator/rectifier, rear master cylinder and other misc. items. Plan on slowly geting it back to 100%. Is your 750 pretty stock? If not what mods? These really are great bikes. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Kramilius
                            The best upgrade is the 80-81 GS1100 front end which gives larger tubes(37mm) spring preload and rebound damping adjustment. But then you are into changing the triple trees also. I still have the stock front end on mine with Progressive springs and an air balance kit as well as a copy of an Ultimate Source fork brace to go on when the slushy weather is over and the garage quites flooding out. A total rebuild may not be necessary as I have 42000 plus and my bushings were still decent just needed new seals and oil. The new springs are my idea as quick riding is what I do when I'm alone and I like a firm feel.
                            I assume that means that the 81 and 82 forks are 35mm?

Where did you get the air balance kit?

Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of going from the 19/18 wheel combination to the 16/17?

Comment

I have to keep my ears open for info on that ride. The TL is a blast-a real torque monster-nothing like I have ridden before being an inline-4 guy. Just put a set of Yosh RS3's race pipes on it. Sounds incredible. The bike is just now fully broken in-2500 miles-and I am still learning to appreciate what it can do. The one bad thing is that it has put my 750E project on the backburner. It needs a clutch basket, stator/rectifier, rear master cylinder and other misc. items. Plan on slowly geting it back to 100%. Is your 750 pretty stock? If not what mods? These really are great bikes. Ride On, Ed.
                              Here's the discussion about the spring Texas Hill country ride http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=5490
                              TL = torque monster...that's what I've heard. My 750 is stock except for pipe and stage 3 jet kit. Also, I probably have some of the parts you need for your project and I'd treat you right on price.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X