carb balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb balancer

I am thinking about buying a twinmax balancer. Has anyone tried one of these and if so, did it work?

If you have a bike with only two cylinders, it appears to be just the ticket.

If you have a bike with more than two cylinders, it will only be slightly less cumbersome than a single gauge.

Depending on what bike/carbs you have, adjusting one carb will affect all the others. It is really nice to see all of them all at once, without having to move hoses or valves to compare just two. If it were me, with my luck, I would be looking at the two. 8-[

I just went to the TwinMax site and read the directions for using this device. It says to connect Channel A to your reference, or master, carb and check all the others against that one. On our GS bikes with CV carbs ('80 and newer), this master carb is #3. I have seen cases where #3 is the only one that was different. In the process of adjusting, all of them were changed, and the idle speed was raised. Had to go back and essentially bench sync the carbs to make sure they were all closing to idle position before re-attempting the gauge sync. On bikes with VM carbs ('79 and older), there is no 'master' carb, so this should not be a problem.

Another problem I see with the TwinMax is for GSs with stock pipes, where it is recommended to set the vacuum to different levels for cylinders 2&3. The TwinMax will show which cylinder has a higher vacuum, but the sensitivity knob is continuously variable, so you have no idea when you are 1cm different in vacuum level.

And, the price. For just a few dollars more, you can get a Morgan CarbTune that will show you all four cylinders and is rather highly rated by users of this forum.

Last edited by Steve; 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or you could build your own manometer for $20 which can give very precise results, if you are so inclined

Comment

I actually purchased a Twinmax before I knew about the carb-tune.
        I'll be doing a write-up on it later after I get a chance to use it.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
          Or you could build your own manometer for $20 which can give very precise results, if you are so inclined
          Give details. Some of us are curious, i'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by saddlewarmer View Post
            Give details. Some of us are curious, i'm sure.
            very much so...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              If you have a bike with only two cylinders, it appears to be just the ticket.

If you have a bike with more than two cylinders, it will only be slightly less cumbersome than a single gauge.

Depending on what bike/carbs you have, adjusting one carb will affect all the others. It is really nice to see all of them all at once, without having to move hoses or valves to compare just two. If it were me, with my luck, I would be looking at the two. 8-[

I just went to the TwinMax site and read the directions for using this device. It says to connect Channel A to your reference, or master, carb and check all the others against that one. On our GS bikes with CV carbs ('80 and newer), this master carb is #3. I have seen cases where #3 is the only one that was different. In the process of adjusting, all of them were changed, and the idle speed was raised. Had to go back and essentially bench sync the carbs to make sure they were all closing to idle position before re-attempting the gauge sync. On bikes with VM carbs ('79 and older), there is no 'master' carb, so this should not be a problem.

Another problem I see with the TwinMax is for GSs with stock pipes, where it is recommended to set the vacuum to different levels for cylinders 2&3. The TwinMax will show which cylinder has a higher vacuum, but the sensitivity knob is continuously variable, so you have no idea when you are 1cm different in vacuum level.

And, the price. For just a few dollars more, you can get a Morgan CarbTune that will show you all four cylinders and is rather highly rated by users of this forum.

Steve I need to buy a carb tune instrument. Which one do you use (I'll probably go with whatever it is, at least it is tried and true by yourself).

Cheers

Don

Comment

I got this from a German site and translated it. It shows you exactly how to build a manometer for a 4 cylinder bike and gives details how to use. Photos are also included. Unfortunately the PDF is too large to attach on this forum. I have approached Mr BassCliff and asked him if he would be willing to put it on his website so that all can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Steve I need to buy a carb tune instrument. Which one do you use (I'll probably go with whatever it is, at least it is tried and true by yourself).
                  The gauge I use is a very old (purchased in 1979) six-column mercury gauge. The only markings on it are "GT Carb Synchro". The only only other gauge I have had the dubious pleasure of using was the less-expensive (cheaper) unit from Motion Pro. Based on that one experience, I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The mercury sits in a well at the bottom, and the lid is VERY easy to dislodge, allowing the mercury to spill out. :shock: Even when the lid is in place, I don't think it is secure enough to trust it to restrain the mercury.

Although I have never seen nor used any other gauge, other users on this forum speak highly of the Morgan Carb Tune.
                  There has also been mention of a digital synchronizer, but I don't remember who makes it.

Analog gauges could work, but you have to be sure to rig some kind of manifold to be able to connect them all to the same vacuum source first to verify that they all read the same, before using them. It's also nice to have some kind of restriction in the vacuum line to minimize needle bounce.

Whatever you decide, make sure you can see the vacuum on all four carbs at the same time. The TwinMax unit mentioned above looks like an ideal unit for two cylinder bikes, but I like being able to see all four levels at the same time.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've got dial-type gauges from Z1enterprises.com and am very pleased. The cheap-o Motion pro mercury model lasted like 6 months and was toast. It's slightly harder to read dials than columns of mercury side-by-side but you get used to it.

Comment

Get the Carbtune. Everything else is crap.

(That's the condensed version, but you won't find a faster, more accurate way to balance the carbs. And sticks that use mercury work, but they are a royal pain.)
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve and bwringer.

Regards
                        Don

Comment

Working...
                        X