Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wes cooley 79gs1000s original I think? how much do they go for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wes cooley 79gs1000s original I think? how much do they go for?

If you read my pre thread I just found out I have a number matching 79gs1000s. now I dont know much about these gems. so I dont know how much they go for. I know it all depends on the condition. this one needs some work. but I just want to know a ballpark since I bought it to turn it into a bobber. but know that I know its special I think someone here might whant to restore it. and maybe I could get enough to get me a gs1000L maybe a little extra cash. since I know I wont be restoring it I dont want to destroy it, and make someone unhappy along the way .I would like someone that is a sight supporter since this site has helped me out a lot. I will try to post some pictures of the vin#eng#and bike by the end of the week. if you got questions go ahead and ask.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2007, 12:13 AM.

If you have the original bodywork with the original paint, and everything is in good condition, put it on eBay. You can buy two or three 1000Ls with what you'll probably get for it. If you don't have the original bodywork, or it's been repainted differently or poorly, it's worth a bit more than a regular "E" in similar condition, but probably not a whole lot more.

You never know though. Some guy may have good body pieces, he's just waiting for a frame and engine to come along.

Collector motorcycles are like any other collectible. "If it ain't mint, it ain't worth s**t".

Pics would be of great benefit.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

whatever you do, please don't turn it into a "bobber"
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

I dont want to turn it into a bobber. I want to sell it to someone who will restore it and buy a gs1000L.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2007, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Please, Don't touch that bike yet. Post a couple photos of all you have of it. I am currently working on a 1100 glz but would rather be working on a cooley s if you have the fairing, tank and covers. PM me if that S is all there.

Comment

I've just bought one on this side of the pond. For what it's worth it's scruffy but original and will cost me a good £800 to bring it up to a minter (or hopefully not too much more[-o<). That's with me doing everything. Cost me £670 and I reckon that's about right.

Wally
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by alvinsan View Post
              I dont want to turn it into a bobber. I want to sell it to someone who will restore it and buy a gs1000L.
              Now here's a man with GREAT tast in bikes, though you don't want to bob an "L" do you. :-D

Comment

Hey Alvisan,
                Good score! Over here in NZ they are worth quite a lot more than an 'e' if you can even find one!
                One question though. Whats a bobber?
                I have seen people talking about bobbers and have no idea what they mean.
                Good luck with the bike man
                Cheers

Comment

What's a bobber you ask? Here's a real bobber, no front fender, ape hangers, 12 degree rake, and gritty. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/India...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I understand everything about tehm but the apehangers. I see people riding with them and it not only looks incredibly uncomfortable, but you have close to zero control of the bike. Can someone help me with this?
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                      I understand everything about tehm but the apehangers. I see people riding with them and it not only looks incredibly uncomfortable, but you have close to zero control of the bike. Can someone help me with this?
                      It's all about the look Bert, ALL about the look. Spent 1 1/2 hours on a friends HD w/hangers and my arms went numb, no joke. Not to mention, when the temps drop, you can really catch some great air! \\/

Comment

Back to the original question..........

We need some pics and specs on the bike.
                        A POS, running, $1000-$1500.........
                        In average shape......$2000 and up
                        In MINT.......$10K or more.........
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I will be posting some pictures this weekend. since its at my brothers house and Ive been busy getting my class A liscence.

Comment

A minter just sold over here on Evilbay for £6500. That equals around $13000 US. Silly money, but if someone wants one badly......
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Im pretty sure mine isnt mint. when I got it and tryied turning it on it would turn on at low idle but when I would pull the throtle it would start back fiering and would turn off, at the moment Im trying to adjust the valves and set the points. It is missing the gas tank,fairing, front fender one side cover. the other side cover is black I havent checked if it has the two holes in the back. the tailight cover is painted black but I chiped some of the paint off and its white under the black paint. Maybe griffin is right maybe it aint worth s...t.

Comment

Working...
                              X