gs 850 alternator output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 850 alternator output

I've upgraded the headlight bulb on my '82 GS 850 glt to a 100/80w unit. It makes all the difference to night time riding. What I want to know is this: Will the light switch handle the extra current, or will it cook the switch? Would I be better off running it through a relay? The haynes manual doesn't specify what the alternator output is rated at, anyone know?
    Thanks in advance.

I live in Colorado and have a 1980 GS850GT and a 1980 GS850GL.

I'd like the same information, because I get kind of freaked out mountain driving at night because of all the wildlife. I would sure appreciate getting the best headlight situation possible.

So...I have no knowledge but have interest in the same kinds of answers.

--Dwight

Comment

It's not so much as to the alt, but the current capability of the wiring harness. So yes use a relay if you are going to use 100w bulb

Comment

Yeah, I've fitted a 10 amp relay in the lightswitch circuit, and run the headlamp straight from the battery through a fused link and used 2.5mm2 cable. The heavier guage cable has a lower resistance and results in an even brighter lamp. Now I can see where I'm going! Why is it that OE lighting is always *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$?

Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
          Why is it that OE lighting is always ####?
          Guy.
          the OE bulb works good as long as it is getting full voltage, that is the problem.
          I have upgraded my wiring to where the electrical load is handled by a relay, instead of the ignition switch, (the switch controls the relay) and it made a huge differance in the brightness of the lights.
          the wiring harnesses on our bikes were not designed very well, but they were up to the standard of the times when they were built.
          stock, the system would be taxed to handle the increase in amperage, but using a relay wired to the original bulb wiring, and the power for the bulb coming from the battery, will provide all the power that the high out put bulb can take.

Comment

Let there be light

I hope this thread attacts a lot of interest. I would love to have a brighther headlight on my 850, but my electrical expertise doesn't extend much beyond checking the battery with a multimeter. I also have a Windjammer fairing which has its own harness and connector that connects to the bike's harness via a spaghetti cluster below the headlight nacelle. My eyes glass over every time I even look at it. Are there any products that offer more light without pulling a lot more amps. I would be willing to spend some extra bucks to not have to confront my wiring.

DonP
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
            X