Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just rebuilt engine.........

'79 GS850G

Just finished buttoning up the top end of the motor last night. New pistons, new cam chain, valves etc. Turned the crank a few times, everything seems lined up good. Tensioner put back together and re-installed.

Question: Can I hit the starter button and do a compression test, just for the heck of it? Or do I need to get everything else (carbs, coils, boots) on first?

Ideally, the engine needs to be at operating temperature for a good compression test, but you should be able to get a good idea if your rebuild worked by checking it now. Check all of them once, then add a teaspoon or so of oil through the spark plug hole and check again.

Since you want to hold the throttle wide open when doing the check, you can eliminate that pesky little detail since the carbs won't be mounted. 8-[

Not having the coils is no problem, as you normally disconnect the plug wires, anyway.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do that compression test. As long as you've hand turned it over to make sure clearance is good, you're good to go
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Just did it. This looks promising so far. Thanks.

Comment

There's oil in there, right? :-D

I usually crank them on the starter at this stage until the oil light goes out, just to make sure there's a good supply of oil up top.

I've never bothered to test the compression before running the engine enough to seat the rings -- not sure if you'd learn anything useful, other than a confirmation that you remembered to put the rings in.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
            Just did it. This looks promising so far. Thanks.
            So if you would please, what were your numbers? Just curious as I "refreshed" my engine (not new pistons but new rings, etc) and I took a compression test somewhere around the 50 mile mark and the numbers weren't great. Now at about 400 miles I have 150 psi equally across all four, dry test.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
              So if you would please, what were your numbers? Just curious as I "refreshed" my engine (not new pistons but new rings, etc) and I took a compression test somewhere around the 50 mile mark and the numbers weren't great. Now at about 400 miles I have 150 psi equally across all four, dry test.

Thanks.
              I didn't do a very good job and just used an old "push in" type of tester that I've had for about 30 years that doesn't hold pressure very well, my battery was low and only did a couple of pumps on each cylinder. Maybe 90 psi. I just wanted to check that I'd put the cams in correctly and that something was drastically wrong.

Comment

numbers might be a little low until after break in period. rings and valves need a little time to really seal up tight.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Start that puppy up and get the rings set in. The most crucial time for getting the rings to set in are the first few minutes of running.
                  Good luck!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Start that puppy up and get the rings set in. The most crucial time for getting the rings to set in are the first few minutes of running.
                    Good luck!
                    Thanks for the encouragement. I can't work on it anymore for a few weeks, I'm heading out of town. I've been very patient for over a year. But I gotta tell you......I'm gettin itchy to get this sucker running.

Comment

Working...
                    X