Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems to be running at high RPM's...What should it run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to be running at high RPM's...What should it run?

I finally got my 1980 GS850 running and it seems to be running great. This is my first Japanese motorcycle and I've only had it for a few weeks and just got it running last week. I've owned Harley Davidsons in the past so Im use to low rpm and torque. My question is, what rpm should I be running while going 55mph? Im turning 4500 - 5000rpm's while doing 55. If I go up to 70 Im turning about 6000. Im used to Harleys running 3000 rpm while going 70mph. Is this normal for a GS850? Please fill me in.

Yes, it's normal, Welcome to the 850 Club. Suzuki built these Bikes expecting them to be used for Touring, Faired, Luggage, 2 up so they are Geared a little low. That said, they are Built to and I can testify WILL Cruise at 6000 rpms or more for hours at a time. In fact, the ONLY thing I would change on My bike is to add a 6th gear. Just get used to the RPMs and Ride!:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Exactly, it feels like there should be a 6th gear.

Comment

If I go up to 70 Im turning about 6000
        I would have thought it would be 5000 or less at 70mph. My 750L turns 5000 at 70mph. Everything on it is stock.

Greg O.

Comment

Your engine speeds in gears sounds a bit high, but there is no way to adjust that unless you change tire size drastically. My wife's '82 850 goes 14 mph per 1000 rpm. That means 28 mph @ 2k, 42 @ 3k, 56 @ 4k and 70 at 5k. I have never checked (or suspected) the accuracy of the tachometer, and the road speeds mentioned are actual speeds, verified by GPS. Incidentally, her speedometer is very close to GPS speeds. An indicated 70 mph is actually 69 mph. \\/

Check your rear tire size. If it is too small, the engine will have to turn faster to give the same road speed. If you have the standard G model, your tire will be different, but her tire is a 130/90-16, which is 23.5 inches tall, and a circumference of 73.75 inches.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

Does your wife's bike really have a 16 inch rear tire? My 750 is a 130/90-17.

Greg O

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Your engine speeds in gears sounds a bit high, but there is no way to adjust that unless you change tire size drastically..
              Is the gearing stock (assuming a chain final drive)? If it is not a shaft drive, you can easily play with sprocket ratios to tame things down a bit.

Mark

Comment

Mr. fxbrry,

I forget whether you have the "GLT" model with the 16" rear wheel or the "GT" model with the 17" rear wheel. I use a 130/90-17 on the rear of my bike. In top gear at 4000 rpm I'm going about 55 mph. At 5000 rpm I'm going right at 70 mph and 6000 rpm puts me almost 85 mph. I have cruised down the freeway for hours at 5000-5500rpm. If your valves are adjusted and carbs are tuned, it will be smooth as glass. It seems a little high compared to a big V-twin, but it's the nature of the beast. Relax and enjoy it.

I just thought I'd mention that sometimes a slippery clutch will cause your rpms to creep up beyond the "normal".

BTW Mr. Mark M, all the 850cc Suzuki bikes of this vintage were shafties. \\/

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
                  Steve,

Does your wife's bike really have a 16 inch rear tire? My 750 is a 130/90-17.
                  OK, Greg, I heard you're from Missouri: 8-[
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mines bigger than both of yours...19...what can i say? Genetics...J/K:-D

Comment

I have replaced the speedo becasue the original stopped working. I need to follow someone in a car and clock it to make sure.

Comment

OK, Greg, I heard you're from Missouri: 8-[
                        No, but my motorcycle came from there. Really.

Greg O

Comment

Working...
                        X