vm26 carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vm26 carb issues

Hello ive just joined this site tonight after deciding that it is the best reference tool around if your into gs suzukis .I have a 79 gs850g which i have just tidied up to look presentable & i need some info on vm 26 carbs .Jet sizes ,air & fuel screw settings, & any other hints or tips to getting it to run cleanly.It has a dyna s ignition stock coils 4 into 2 exhausts ( less restrictive than stock system ) stock airbox with snorkel ,fresh top end on motor,valve clearences done & carbs cleaned.
    It runs ok but i just want to set it up properly. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated .
    PS Any other 850 members in Sydney Australia ?

Go to Mr BassCliff's site http://www.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and download the manual for starters.
    Enjoy

Comment

First, let me give you a quick "WELCOME" before BassCliff chimes in with the offishul one. 8-[

Carb jetting information can be found in the carb "sticky" which is the first post in this forum. Scroll down to post #20 for 850 info.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. gs85079,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that pictures (of your bike, not you) will improve your standing! :-D

Yes, there is so much information on this site just waiting for you, Mr. gs85079. Use the search feature, check out the Garage Section with its Stator Papers and Carburetor Rebuild Series and the Old Q&A Section. If you can't find the information you're looking for, just ask. I love to show off what little I know. I've got thimbles full of information to share! But others have box cars full.

Thanks for joining us. I know there are more than a few GS riders in OZ. I hope you get to meet up with them. Let us know how your wrenching goes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

I have a similar set up to yours, I have a 4 - 1 with stock air box with vm26's.

I didn't have to re-jet at all because I kept the stock air box. What I did need to do is raise my needles 1/2 notch. But your situation will be different.

First of all, how is it running now? Any backfiring?

To begin with, make sure your air box is sealed well. That's just basic for these bikes.

The place to start is with your plug checks. Do what's called a "plug chop" at 1/8, 1/4, and full throttle. Run the bike at each of those THROTTLE SETTINGS (not RPM) steady for a minute or so, chop the throttle and check your plugs for color at each throttle setting. Do the best you can with full throttle.

Also start with your mixture screws in stock position and go from there. Pilot screw mixture (the one underneath the carb) is 5/8 turn, your pilot air screw (the one on the side) should be somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 3/4 turns.

Basically, your pilot jet and mixture screws control from just off idle to about 1/4 throttle, your needles take over after that.....your main jets come into play as you get into full throttle.

Your plugs should be a light to medium grey or tan at each of these throttle settings.

Let us know if you need more help.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2007, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Hi GS850, I live in Sydney but alas I only own a '77 GS550B model.

Welcome from baby brother anyway.

Cheers

Don

Comment

Thanks to all replies , i will try your suggestions Mark & let you all know how it goes .Steve & Matchless ,i will look for that post/site right now ,Thanks. Don I'm at Sydney motorcycle show Sunday might see you there.

Comment

Working...
              X