Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My TS blinker is slow. 82 GS1100E

I have searched and read previous postings related to this topic.:-D
    When I got the bike it had some rodent knawing of wires bit I am convinced that all that is repaired. However the turn signal blinker is really slow. (Fully charged new battery.) I don't know if the blinker is orig. or a wal-mart replacement or what. I have not run the bike yet because of carb issues but I have removed a lot of rust from the frame and repainted the frame and carefully cleaned and replaced the frame grounding lugs throughout the loom. Resistance readings from the frame are the same as readings from the neg. batt. terminal so I think grounding is not an issue.
    Anyone out there have ideas for the solution of this problem?
    Lee

Well, since you've got good grounds

1. How's the light bulb socket? Corroded?
    2. Replace the flasher

BTW, are all 4 signals slow, or just one?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Flashers

Thanks for the reply Big T.
      All sockets are clean and have a bit of teflon grease on the bulb bases.
      The prob. is with all four flashers.
      So I'll take door no. 2 and replace the flasher.
      As soon as I find the right needle jet, I'll be up and running I hope.
      Lee

Comment

get another flasher unit. -and -or- check wattage on all 4 flasher bulbs and match them all to be the same.. it is the combined wattage of the 2 bulbs on each side that makes the flasher oscillate on and off
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Yes, this is usually the wrong wattage bulbs. Factory could mean a 23watt in front and at the rear and a 5w (?) in the instrument panel, totaling about 48 watts. If one bulb blows the flashing stops. If you have smaller aftermarket indicators and they have a 10 watt bulb fitted then you will have slow flashing that comes to a standstill when you push the brakes or put the lights on. You can change to a flasher that is not dependant on the load, but will lose your automatic self cancelling if you have it.

Comment

winkers

Thanks Trippivot and Matchless for the good information. I have no idea what the bulbs are but I will find out. The entire system is original I think. Since I haven't had the bike running and my manual has not arrived I was not aware of the self cancelling feature. At this time I am not where the bike is but I will be back there this weekend. The PO who left the bike in my yard had not ridden it since the middle nineties but I think he probably left things pretty much stock. Less than 9k miles. I really appreciate your help!
            Lee

Comment

It could be the connectors to the indicator being poor and not carrying enough current. The slow 'blink' is also a sign of a flattening battery which you say you've sorted....

If you've had the tank off the handlebar connector for the switch is under the tank and that may be slightly pulled apart causing the same indicators to play up.

Suzuki mad.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2007, 06:44 PM. Reason: shell cpecker.....

Comment

Working...
              X