New Tires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tires...

So its time to Replaced the Tires on my GS850G.

I was thinking about some Dunlop 404s. Anyone have any experience with those or have something else they recommend instead?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2007, 08:39 PM.

Oh no! Not again!

Anyone have any experience with those are have something else they recommend instead?
    Nope.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    (being sarcastic, anyone who's been here longer than a month knows why) ;-)
    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM.

Comment

D404s, Sticky but have a short Life Span. I got about 4400 miles out of a set in 06. I spent the extra bucks for Elites this Year and I am at 6500 miles and they are showing some wear but a Lot of miles left in them.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'm running the Continental Conti-Blitz Standards from having D404s. The Contis are much better. I've also heard of guys really liking the Pirelli Sport Demons, but Pirelli's tend to be a little pricey.

Good Luck!

thatdood

Comment

Decent tires at a decent price: Cheng Shin Hi-Max

After 13,000 miles on the 850L, they are down to the wear bars. Might get another set, might switch to the Dunlop Elite 3 like I have on my Wing. Got 23,000 miles on the last set on the Wing. \\/

By the way, that's only one season of riding on the Wing, and two on the 850. 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I too recently was looking to replace my tires on my 81 gs850g. Seemed like a limited selection due to tire sizing. I ended up going with Avon RoadRiders. So far, really like them. Have 400 miles on them. Very soon to tell you much about them though.

Comment

I have 404's on my bike. After hanging around here for a while the consensus seems to be it was a mistake. I have to say though that before I listened to everyone else I really liked them.

Short life span seems to be the common theme.

Comment

Do you want mileage or do you want lots of grip? What's your style of riding?

Pirelli Sport Demons are great - superior grip wet or dry.

Best price I've seen is here: http://www.parts411.com/acbasp/store...MON-C8609.aspx

Great service from that shop too.

Comment

You'll also get a lot of people like me saying it's very hard to beat Metzelers. Good grip wet or dry, long life - some reports of 14,000+miles when ridden easy, and the other thing I can confirm is they ride through road snakes and other irregularities better than most tires. Speculate it's because they don't have a central groove to grab the snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                    You'll also get a lot of people like me saying it's very hard to beat Metzelers. Good grip wet or dry, long life - some reports of 14,000+miles when ridden easy, and the other thing I can confirm is they ride through road snakes and other irregularities better than most tires. Speculate it's because they don't have a central groove to grab the snake.
                    My GS850GL is fully dressed and I intend to use it the do a lot of touring and ride year round (except for when it snows, which is very in frequently in DC). So my top Priority would be good handling when wet, secondly descend lifespan (but this is a far behind second priority.)

Thanks!

Comment

Hmmm... Metzelers site recommends the Lasertecs for at GS850G. I guess after rethinking this... since basically all you have is the tires (and common sense riding) protecting you from a spill, I better spring the extra 40 a tire and get something nicer than the 404s...

Comment

[quote=chidlebaugh;718092]Hmmm... Metzelers site recommends the Lasertecs for at GS850G. I guess after rethinking this... since basically all you have is the tires (and common sense riding) protecting you from a spill, I better spring the extra 40 a tire and get something nicer than the 404s...

Nothing "Wrong" with the 404s. They had excellent Grip until they wore out but they do that pretty fast. With a dressed 850 I suggest You take a Hard look at the Dunlop elites, I see them on Wings a lot.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Selecting tires takes several considerations:
                          What is your riding style?
                          How much does your bike weigh?
                          What type of conditions do you ride in?
                          What type of tire life (mileage) do you want?
                          How much are you willing to spend?

Once you determine these, and prioritize them, you can find candidates and decide between them.
                          I have always run name brands, including Metzler, Continental, Dunlop, etc., and have never been disappointed. I prefer mileage over traction, due to the cost of replacements. But my considerations may be different from yours.
                          I have 7k easy miles on my Metzlers on my lightweight KZ, they have lots of life left. I have 7k miles on a set of Dunlops on the much heavier GS, with somewhat more aggessive riding, and they need to be replaced.

Best of luck.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2007, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                            I ran Metzelers as well and was really happy with them....then I tried the Pirelli Sport Demons....not sure if you have tried these, but the Pirellis take it to a whole new level, IMHO....not only do they stick like glue, they also allow you to 'feel' the road more, whic is great when leaned over. The Metz's will beat them in longevity no doubt,as the S.D's are softer, as confirmed by the fingernail test , but so far I have about 8,000 km on the rear hoop, and will probably get another 4-5K out of it, which is pretty decent I think. BTW, currently trying a Cheng Shin Hi-Max on the front, and no complaints at all!

Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Might give the Pirellis a go next time, then. The bike had Michelins on it when I bought it and the Metz's are a lot better, but I have a very conservative riding style.

Pirelli in general has always had a reputation for great grip but not so good on the wear.

Interesting, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X