Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting sequence instructions

Dear GS family,
    I've got a restored 78 GS750EC with only 11,000 miles on it but unfortunately do not have an owners manual for it and I'm having a hard time justifying parting with $30.00 plus shipping to the vultures on ebay to get a worn out one.

I can live without the manual but am curious only about one thing the manual would tell me and that is what is the starting procedures outlined in the manual.

When the engine is cold do I always set the choke at full choke regardless of weather and outside temperature? Do I give the bike any throttle while cranking the starter? How about when the bike or the weather is warm? What is the process for removing choke after the bike starts?

Can a fellow GS member out there who has the same bike please list how the manual reads concerning the starting process?

Gratefully!
    GS750GUY

Fine-c...

Proper starting sequence:

Fuel - petcock on. If she's sat unrunning for a while, prime first.
    Ignition - turn the key
    Neutral - Yeah, slip her in neutral
    Engine - flip your red switch to "run"
    Choke - if she's cold, choke her. You'll learn how much and how long to keep her that way.

No throttle. Should always start right up. Use this sequence on any and all bike.

Ride safe

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
      I can live without the manual GS750GUY
      No, you can't. Get one.

One important thing to remember is that when the bike is cold and you are using the choke......don't open the throttle. That renders the choke ineffective.

Get a manual.

Comment

Also, once it is started on full choke, as the engine warms up, it will idle higher and higher. That is your signal to start pushing in the choke to maintain rpms at about 2,000 or so.

Once it will idle with less than 1/4 choke, you can usually ride off on it gingerly for a few minutes, then it will idle off choke.

Set your warm, off choke idle level to about 1,100 rpm or so, using the knob on the back of the carbs.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I guess my bike is the weird one out of the bunch, I choke it all the way and crank it. She needs a blip on the throttle once she fires a couple of times or it won't start up, she stutters and dies. If I blip it then it catches on all 4 and the rpm will start to rise, then I drop the choke a little to keep her running.

Comment

More of a stop routine thing, but when stopping the bike with the kill switch I always, religiously, turn the kill switch back to Run.

This tip courtesy of many times fruitlessly trying to start a chain saw because the damn kill switch was left in the wrong place :-D

Comment

Working...
            X