Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G questions

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 GS650G, and I had a question regarding the installation of air pod filters on the bike. Has anyone had any experience with air pods, and would anyone recommend/not recommend these?

Also, I seem to be having a problem with the #2 cylinder. #1 and #2 cylinders seem to running rich; I know this because everytime I take out the plugs, they are wet and black. #2 cylinder does not seem to be firing at all, and the exhaust pipe for this cylinder is cool when the bike is running. I have checked the stator, and swapped the ignition coils...everything is fine there. Also, my mileage is horrible! I'm getting maybe 100kms to a tank (approx. 14 litres to a fill).

I have had different theories on what could be happening. One person has said its my carb that is messed up, does it need to be rebuilt/cleaned/adjusted?

The other theory I am leaning to is that I have an ignition problem (which would explain my poor gas mileage and spark plugs not firing properly)....could it be an ignitor unit that needs replacing? At this point, I am not sure what to think. I have tried a million different things, and nothing seems to work.

Any help you can pass along would be appreciated!

Frustrated teacherman

Originally posted by teacherman View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 GS650G, and I had a question regarding the installation of air pod filters on the bike. Has anyone had any experience with air pods, and would anyone recommend/not recommend these?

Also, I seem to be having a problem with the #2 cylinder. #1 and #2 cylinders seem to running rich; I know this because everytime I take out the plugs, they are wet and black. #2 cylinder does not seem to be firing at all, and the exhaust pipe for this cylinder is cool when the bike is running. I have checked the stator, and swapped the ignition coils...everything is fine there. Also, my mileage is horrible! I'm getting maybe 100kms to a tank (approx. 14 litres to a fill).

I have had different theories on what could be happening. One person has said its my carb that is messed up, does it need to be rebuilt/cleaned/adjusted?

The other theory I am leaning to is that I have an ignition problem (which would explain my poor gas mileage and spark plugs not firing properly)....could it be an ignitor unit that needs replacing? At this point, I am not sure what to think. I have tried a million different things, and nothing seems to work.

Frustrated teacherman
    Teach definitely sounds like an ignition problem. I'd try replacing the plugs first as its the cheapest solution. You know what they say, "Start with the cheap stuff first and then work your way up from there." Then I'd go about checking the ignition wires and boots. The boots have been known to collapse or just wear out. Plus I think replacements are somewhere along the line of 5-7 dollars a boot. You say the coils are fine so then the last thing I'd assume is the igniter unit. Also remember to check the battery. It could be weak which would lead to a weak spark.

And my recommendation about the pods. Leave the bike be until you get the firing problem corrected. Installing pods now will just give you alot more headaches

Comment

Originally posted by teacherman View Post
      Hi Everyone,

Frustrated teacherman
      Agreed on the pods..untill you are sure what you have now is running, DONT switch to pods...that will require jetting changes.. Have you checked for spark on all your plugs?? That will tell ya right off the rip if you're not firing...

And yes, carb richness would make your cylinders run cooler, as they arent burning off all the fuel... Id be more inclined however to check for spark first..how do your wires look?? cracked wires can cause poor spark too...and has this just started happening or did you come into this bike in this condition?

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have replaced the plugs numerous times this season. Plugs on #1 and #2 seem to foul every few weeks, and I am not sure why I am replacing them so often. Also, I have replaced the boots (one of the first things I did when I got the bike). I checked the spark as well on the plugs. #3 and #4 for example have a nice blue spark, and when I yank the boot off #3 or #4 while the bike is idling, the bike wants to quit (which is normal). When I do the same with #1, the bike has a bit of a change in idle, and when I pull the boot off #2...there is no change! So obviously #2 is not firing, and #1 is not that strong.

When I first got the bike in May, it had problems problems right off the bat (perhaps not the smartest purchase for my first bike), and it would have trouble idling. I would have to set the idle very high, about 2,000rpms just to insure the bike wouldn't quit on me when idling. I have had these headaches all season long and am not sure what to do. I love the look of the GS, but I would love it if it ran as nice as it looked!

Comment

not possitive on the 650...but the coils on my 750 one fires 1 and4 and one fires 2 and 3 ...have you checked your valve clearances?? and is the wet on the plug gas or oil? does the exhaust smoke??

Comment

Hi CafeKid,

My 650 is the same as your 750 in the firing of the coils. I have not checked my valve clearances, what does this do (I am sorry, I don't know much about bike engines). The wetness on the plugs seems to be gas, and there is a strong gas smell when the bike is running (hence it running rich). No smoke out of the exhaust, except for when I foul a plug, then all I have is the unburnt gas coming out of the exhaust.

Comment

Welcome teach'. Let me tell you you've got a great bike there.

Another suggestion would be to check your fuel petcock to see if it's leaking. Mine was leaking gas down the vacuum line and into carb #2. This would in turn foul the plug out. I opened the petcock and saw that the diaphram inside was torn so I ordered a rebuild kit from Z1 enterprises
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

and haven't had any problems since.

However, to sort your bike out properly you should:
              1. check valve clearences and adjust to within spec if req'd.
              2. check ignition for proper operation
              3. clean carbs. To me this sounds like your problem (theres an excellent carb rebuild series on this site here) http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

You might also check for air leaks around the carb/engine manifolds. There are o-rings where the manifolds bolt up to the engine that tend to dry out and crack.

As previously mentioned. Leave the pods alone until you get her running properly.

Good luck. The search feature is your friend. I couldn't have sorted my bike out without it. And post a pic of your bike when you get a chance.

JT

Comment

Working...
              X