Z1 Gasket set..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z1 Gasket set..

Just had a question about the Z1 gasket set. I have a 82' GS850 and don't see the set for my bike. I believe the 850 is from 79-81. Would that fit my bike or do I have to go with another set?? Thanks.
    John.

Are you talking about the Vesrah Gasket kit from Z1 enterprises? Assuming that's what you mean, call and talk with them, they'll walk you through it and give you the right info. The Vesrah kit is a great way to go.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

The clutch cover gasket and the valve cover gasket (if your bike has a 19 bolt valve cover) would be different, but the rest of the 79-81 GS850 kit would work fine.

Some early '82 engines had the 16 bolt valve covers, in which case the older style gasket would work fine.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The cylinder head gasket has 16 bolts. (6*39) are the dimensions. So if I do have that, then the 79-81' would work then?

Comment

from memory, there's a difference in some engine casings bolts on '82 and younger models (compared to earlier engines) so not all gaskets are the same
          i have an '80 so that vesrah set was mainly fine (but wasn't really "complete" as i needed some extra o-rings and gaskets)

however, vesrah set is probably the most complete set you can find
          GS850GT

Comment

I would call them...the gasket set for my 77 DIDNT have the valve gasket...i had to hunt for it on their site...id call them or email them...they really are great to work with..

Comment

If the valve cover has 16 bolts (meaning early '82), the clutch cover gasket would be the only remaining difference in the gasket sets. A new one is about $7 from Suzuki.

Just to verify which engine you have, the 1982+ GS850 engine has an angled clutch cover -- relative to the centerline of the bike, the part line between the clutch cover and the case is angled. The threaded boss for the clutch cable is part of the upper engine case.

On the earlier models, the clutch cover is straight -- the parting line is parallel to the centerline of the bike -- and the boss for the clutch cable is part of the clutch cover, not part of the engine.

There are various other minor differences between the early and late models, but that doesn't affect the gaskets in the Vesrah kits as noted above.

Also, Vesrah does make a kit specifically for the later model GS850 engines. Z1 can get it for you, even if they don't stock it.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Z1 went as far as to order a set (from Japan IIRC) for a non-GS bike I own. They are great, but you absolutely must call them and speak to a human being. There is no other way to get exactly what you need, and they are extremely knowledgeable.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. I talked with Chris from Flat out and im going to go through him for the gasket set.

Comment

Working...
                  X