Service Limits GS1000SZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Limits GS1000SZ

Anybody know the service limits on bore diameter for a 82 GS1000SZ (Katana)? Did a search and all I could find was bore diameter @ 70mm. Got my motor in the middle of a teardown (needed new gaskets and a paint job anyway) and my service manual is for the 1100. Not too much different other than bore and stroke. 16v, by the way...

Hi SMOKINPANCAKE. Don't know if this will help or not. But I have scanned a page from a GS1000 Technical bulletin (Suzuki Factory Publication). It is a 1980 publication so is probably an 8 valve motor (I am not an expert on GS1000, I have a 550). The bore and stuff looks the same so might be OK. Anyway here it is for what it is worth.

Cheers

Don

Comment

Hi Don,

Thanks for the scan and the PM, they came in really clear. I see the bore listed at 70mm (2.7559 - 2.7565) but my bores measure out at right around 2.733. Wonder if the stroke is different? And, I still have crosshatch marks on the cylinder wall, no scoring whatsoever. Just a lot of carbon buildup on the piston tops...I fugure if the initial grind marks are still visible, then I shouldn't have anything to worry about....
      Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Yes that sounds alright to me as well, if you can see the hatch marks then that verifies that no wear has taken place. How long since that work was done on the motor. I have sent you the bore and stroke info for the GS1000 motor, compare that with your Katana specs especially the stroke to see if its the same. I can scan all the pages on the limits from the Suzuki Technical Bulletin if you are doing other work on the motor if you would like. Let me know.

Cheers

Don

Comment

Thanks for all the help...
          I don't know when the last service was done as I've only had the bike for a year or so. It looks to be in pretty good shape under all the grease and oil. I doubt if anyone has ever been deeper into it than the valve cover and possibly clutch. And that's precicely why I'm doing the rebuild - to verify for myself exactly where everything sits.
          Just pulled the valves last night and much to my amazement they are spotless and true (no runout) with full seating area all around. I think I got lucky with this bike as I only paid 200 bucks for it.

Thanks again for the help, I'll let you know if there's anything else I may need info on.

Comment

Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty good motor there. Sure is better than mine. My compression figures range between 85 and 110, so I think my motor is shot -- funny thing it still goes like a rocket though. I bought a set of new intake and exhaust valves off EBAY on the cheap (still in the Suzuki wrapping). Will lift the head one day and see what's under there. Won't find what you've discovered though I shouldn't think. I'm expecting the worst. Anyway I have a bad oil leak from the gearbox sprocket shaft and am waiting on the 2 seals to arrive for that. So many jobs to do. Might get them all done one day. At least I've got the FORUM to help me out.

Let me know if you need any other technical info.

Cheers

Don

Comment

Working...
            X