nofire 3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nofire 3/4

new 1100 16v engine installed, 3/4 getting strong spark and gas but will not fire. 1/2 run ok. very weird because 3/4 are different coils. Any ideas?

carbs gummed up on that side? Not getting fuel? Slides not moving?

Comment

thanks cafekid, but carbs are fresh off my old engine which ran well.
      plugs are wet on both cyls.

Comment

pulled the plugs to see if you get spark?? might have bad wires...yeah they're on different coils, but its an idea...battery strong? bad thoughts..valve stuck open? compression issue?

Comment

160 lb.s across the board. my spark tester shows hot spark on all the new plugs gapped at .028. rechecked carbs, no apparent problems.

Comment

Wild! I cant think of anything past that...timing?? noo..two seperate coils...man..have you tried swaping the plugs from two to three and one to four? they may not reach, but two and three should...

err that should be plug wires...not the plugs..

and you could try backing the gap off on those two just a bit..otwoeight is the wide side of the gap...
            Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2007, 01:52 AM.

Comment

thanks, I'll sleep on it.

Comment

What are the carbs off of?
                Maybe you're rich on the pilot circuit or the carbs aren't synced to the motor.
                Is the battery good?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by monte View Post
                  new 1100 16v engine installed, 3/4 getting strong spark and gas but will not fire. 1/2 run ok. very weird because 3/4 are different coils. Any ideas?
                  Take CLOSE LOOK to see whether you've inadvertently swapped 3 & 4 coil wires at the plugs. THIS will give the type of problem you're seeing with good carbs and the rest of the ignition in good condition and yet unaffect the paired plugs on the opposite side. Make sense?

Comment

drain plugs

unscrew the carb drain plugs of 3 and 4 to see if any fuel in coming thru/

Comment

You beat me to it SPARKSS. I had exactly that happen to my 550. Took me a week to work it out. It wasn't till I removed the tank and traced the individual wires to the plugs that I realised I must have put the leads on the wrong plugs. Good as gold once I swapped them back.

Comment

Working...
                      X