GS550 Carb Cleaning (1982)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Carb Cleaning (1982)

I had a recent problem with backfiring/running unevenly. I have cured this by adjusting valve clearances (they were all way too tight) and altering air screw settings.
    The only problem now is that it still takes ages before the bike runs on no4 cylinder so I have bought an O ring kit and decided to strip the carbs and clean them.
    I have been following the excellent Carb Cleanup Series on the main page. My problem is that I have now stripped the carbs but I cannot find the washer or O ring shown on the air screw. There is the screw and a spring but nothing else!
    Perhaps they have been lost by a previous owner.
    The carbs are the CV type off a 1982 GS550.
    Are the carbs different on each model as I notice that the ones shown being stripped are off a GS850 but the air screw looks identical to the ones that I have just removed.

Thanks in advance for any help
    GS1000G

I just got done doing my carbs. I noticed that when I took out the airscrew
    the only parts that came out where the screw, spring and washer.
    The o-ring didn't come out with the rest. I looked closer and found I had to
    kinda pry out the o-ring with a tiny screwdriver. The o-ring is probably there just didn't come out with the rest. I guess it's always possible the PO didn't put them back in too.

Comment

Yeah, I've tried the small screw driver trick and I cannot find them, I've got a feeling that the PO lost them!
      GS1000G

Comment

GOT THEM - long piece of thin wire did the trick

Thanks
        GS1000G

Comment

Your best bet would be to get all new "O" rings from this site:

The kit is inexpensive, and as stated on the page, they are of recent manufacture, so will seal better. I've used one kit so far, and the other is sitting on the rack of carbs waiting to be used on the second set.

As a bonus.. they are being sold by a member from the forum here.

Amos B.

Comment

Paper clip

When I cleaned mine, I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and bent the very end tip of a straightened out paper clip. It snagged them very easily.
            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
              Your best bet would be to get all new "O" rings from this site:

The kit is inexpensive, and as stated on the page, they are of recent manufacture, so will seal better. I've used one kit so far, and the other is sitting on the rack of carbs waiting to be used on the second set.

As a bonus.. they are being sold by a member from the forum here.

Amos B.
              When ordering is it enough to state just VM type carb or does Mr. Cycleorings need to know the model the carbs are off, the model carbs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                When ordering is it enough to state just VM type carb or does Mr. Cycleorings need to know the model the carbs are off, the model carbs, etc.

These kits are for the "O" rings only, so there really isn't anything model specific like jets/needles etc. So you should just have to state VM or CV.

If in doubt drop him an e-mail.

Just looked closer at his page for VM carbs here:

Give it a read, I think you will find that he intended the kits to work with any of the VM carbs available, even to the point of putting in enough rings to cover the most "needy" carbs, which will leave extra rings on those that don't require them.

Amos

ps. I have not personally used the VM kits, because I have all CV carbs. However I believe that Hoomgar has purchased the VM kit and was satisfied.

Comment

Thanks Amos. I will have to purchase a set. I have the "O" rings for the intakes. So this is a job waiting to be done.

Comment

I have already bought the O rings from this site. I was amazed how quickly they arrived - 3 days to the UK!!!
                    Can't wait to refit the carbs - bike should run like new.

:-D:-D:-D
                    GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
                      ps. I have not personally used the VM kits, because I have all CV carbs. However I believe that Hoomgar has purchased the VM kit and was satisfied.

That is correct. I bought a spare kit just in case
                      The kit had all the o-rings I needed for my vm26 carbs

Comment

Working...
                      X