Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to tell the size of bolts and nuts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to tell the size of bolts and nuts..

82' GS850 and am planning on putting new bolts and nuts while I replace the gaskets on the cylinder heads and so forth. I have a small leak in the valve and head. The bolts I can figure out. I read from a post earlier. I tried to see if bolt depot carries (6*39) for the dimension, but couldn't find it. I think it either runs 6*35 or 6*40. But not a 6*39. The 8 nuts off the cylinder head measure 08316-10107. Then it says it replaces (08316-16108). Just really confused on that part. And the washer for the same nut measures (10.5*22*2.3) and (09160-10039). Really appreciate it if you guys could help me out in reading the sizes of the nuts and washers in trying to save money doing it myself rather than buying off "name brand" websites. Thanks.

This reply should be peppered with asterisks, because it's very generalized, but:

Metric is really simple. It's just diameter x pitch, both in mm. Diameter is pretty self-explanatory. Pitch is the number of millimeters per thread (which is backward of the typical 'fractional' or 'inch' specs which denote threads per inch).

A spec of 6x39 wouldn't make much sense then. Standard and fine thread metric specs can be found at boltdepot; for a 6mm diameter, a pitch of 1.0 is standard across the line (ie, there's no typical fine thread). This table lists everything you're likely to encounter on a GS:

Bolt depot also has some printable 'tools' for identifying metric bolts & nuts. Can't beat the price. They print out in actual 1:1 size, so you just compare & match directly.

If anyone else wants to chime in, please do.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I was going to mention one of these but I thought that would be too simple.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That fancy blue tool can be purchased for a couple of bucks.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

the factory original washer for the engine head nuts is: 10.5X22X2.3
          10.5 internal diameter in mm
          22 external dia in mm
          2.3 thickness in mm
          but practicaly any standard "M10" washer should do

the 4 outside washers are made of copper and should be replaced with such (as they seal the oil-ways)

from memory, the nuts are M10x1.25 ie. 10mm dia, 1.25mm pitch (fine)

hope this helps
          GS850GT

Comment

M6x39 stands for 39mm long bolt 6mm in diameter
            You're not likely to find the exact lenght other than from the factory
            M6x40 should be fine, but measure the depth of the bolt hole just to be absolutely shure it's deep enough to take a mm longer bolt (from memory, you should not have any probs on an 850 engine)
            GS850GT

Comment

chef1366, That is one scary avator. Put a John Wayne hat on it and you got Mc Clintock.

Comment

I appreciate it psyguy. Im gonna go searching now for prices and whatnot.

Comment

The bolt im talking about is from the cylinder head requiring 16 of them. It has (6*39) but for a number under neath it says 09103-06026. Just confused because the last set should be the length where its saying 26???

Comment

One more question. I looked on bolt depot and am not sure as to what bolt to put on my cylinder head cover (6*40) (6*45) (6*25). My oil pan bolts (6*30) (6*25). They had two different types. "Metric standard bolts" or "Metric full thread (tap) bolts". Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
                      The bolt im talking about is from the cylinder head requiring 16 of them. It has (6*39) but for a number under neath it says 09103-06026. Just confused because the last set should be the length where its saying 26???
                      The number after the description (09103-06026) is the Suzuki Part #. I don't think it bears any relationship to the length of the bolts. The bolts you are talking about are the ones for the camshaft holding down cap. The other bolts you mentioned for the valve cover can be of varying lengths. The 2 on the ends diagonally opposite each other with the dowells in them are 5mm longer than the others. On my 550 there were 14 that were 6x40mm and 2 that were 6x45mm for the dowelled holes. Don't know if yours is the same. Check it out.

Cheers

Don

Comment

Working...
                      X