Stage 1 & Stage 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stage 1 & Stage 3?

I am considering using K&N's jet kit on my '82 GS1100GK. They sent me the instructions page for study in determining the value of the kit.

What is Stage 1 versus Stage 3? Is Stage 1 the settings for stock exhaust and Stage 3 for aftermarket exhaust and intake filters?

K&N says that you do not have to rejet the carbs if putting on the factory style replacement air filter as long as you are using a stock exhaust. Just passing it on.

Chumpy

Stage 1 is mainly for air box use and 3 is for open filters. There's more to the Stage3 kit to compensate for the large increase in air. As far as I know you can use them with or without a header, but increasing flow on the in side usually needs increased flow on the out side to take full advantage of the modification. It's like putting 2 four barrel carbs on a 350 Chev Z28 but leaving the cast iron manifolds and the single crossover muffler and stock cam. Lots of flow potential but not enough parts to take full advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Kramilius
      Stage 1 is mainly for air box use and 3 is for open filters. There's more to the Stage3 kit to compensate for the large increase in air. As far as I know you can use them with or without a header, but increasing flow on the in side usually needs increased flow on the out side to take full advantage of the modification. It's like putting 2 four barrel carbs on a 350 Chev Z28 but leaving the cast iron manifolds and the single crossover muffler and stock cam. Lots of flow potential but not enough parts to take full advantage.
      GOOD COMPARISON.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
        GOOD COMPARISON.
        What else would a gearhead do to make a point?

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
          GOOD COMPARISON.
          What else would a gearhead do to make a point?
          Now your head is moving into a larger category

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought it referred to, but would have felt dumber if I hadn't asked and created problems because of it.

That K&N kit for $35 looks like a good deal. You get two sizes of main jets for Stage 1 and two sizes for Stage 3. Plus you get new needles for the vacuum slides. These require drilling a bit larger hole, but the drill bit is included!

The carbs I have are so ratty looking, anything and everything is an improvement. Especially the new stainless socket head cap screws I'm assembling them with. Hate those Phillips screws on engines.

Chumpy

Comment

Working...
            X