Cleaning my carbs...need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning my carbs...need some help

The problem I was having was that it wasn't idling....just rpm's would drop off and it would die. Then I took out the plugs out and they were black and wet, so I cleaned them off and then it was dogging and wouldn't rev over 5000 rpm. I read on another post that someone else had this problem and they cleaned the carbs and it started running great.

So to start off, I've never torn a carb appart by myself before. I'm doing this with the help of the carb cleaning and repair PDF found on the GS Homepage. It is a verry helpfull doccument....the only thing is that it is for the GS850 and I have an 80' GS750. Everything seemed close enough though so I started taking them appart. When I got to the part with taking out the air screw, the slides just said something like "take it out", and showed someone unscrewing it. Mine does not have a screw head on it. It just has a hole in what looks like a cap that is pressed in there.

I've asked around and some people say to screw a wood screw in the whole and pull the cap off, once the cap is off you should be able to unscrew the air screw from the carb. Another guy said that I have to have a rebuild kit to replace the cap and that I can stick a steel shaft in the hole and pry off the cap.

I don't have rebuild kits because I wanted to try to do some cleaning w/o the kits and am on a tight budget here in college. Sorry for the long post but I don't want to screw things up too badly. Any help would be great.

They were capped like that at the factory to stop you messing with them I think.....

I've certainly heard the wood screw & yank it tip before
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Do I have to re-cap them when I put the carbs back together?

Comment

Originally posted by ACE View Post
        Do I have to re-cap them when I put the carbs back together?
        Nope, that would make things really difficult the next time you want to make a slight adjustment. They're only there to keep Suzuki in the clear if the bike were not to meet the EPA standards, back in the day. Nowdays...non-factor!

Comment

When you pull the plastic cap off don't forget to bottom out the screws lightly and count the revolutions so you have a starting point for when you reassemble them.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
            X