silicone valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silicone valve cover gasket

I recently bought the REAL Silicone Valve Cover Gasket (realgaskets.com). I installed them (2 bikes) this weekend and found that the ORANGE gasket overhangs the casing showing the orange. My question is, do you trim the gaskets or leave it as is? I would trim them if I wasn't plan on reusing the gasket. If I trim it, will I get it to refit the next time I do my valves?

Great question! Not sure about the "trim to fit" idea, though if the torque specs are spot on, I don't see why it should matter. If torqued down in the exact same way, there should be no problem, though I've never done it.

Comment

The gaskets are slight oversized, especially on the ends where the round caps go. I'm curious to see if others have had this issue. I know several posts in the past highly recommended these.

Comment

What word rhymes with "orange"?

Mr. slamonte,

I didn't trim mine. Orange is OK by me. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I didn't trim either.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I wouldn't trim them. In the course of retorqueing them from time to time they may shift, and having the extra material might prove to be the difference between leaking or not leaking.

A LOT of people have struggled with these gaskets, even seasoned "wrenchers" within our fold, and while they are a great concept they've proven to be problematic in practice unless you stay absolutely "on top" of the torque settings.

Long story short, IMO, "don't trim 'em."

Regards,

Comment

Didn't trim mine. Just let the end caps make their own impression. Really haven't had any problems, used a 1/4 drive and a light touch. Did have one replacement bolt that keep backing out. Put a lock washer on it and haven't had a problem since. Did put flat washer between the lock and the cam cover to protect the cam cover.

Thanks,

Comment

DO NOT overtighten the bolts That will cause them to squish out. Make sure the tack gear is engauged properly. If the bolts come loose put a dab silicon adhesive

Comment

Working...
                X