Battery losing charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery losing charge

I have a 78 GS 1000. The battery is a good one and will hold a charge for weeks without using it. The last few times I rode it and the other day just from warming it up the battery died. It stalled and did not have enough juice to even crank it over. Where do I start? Thanks for any help. I'm guessing the generator but don't want to start buying without knowing the problem as I have never had to do electrical repairs before.

Start by reading the Stator Papers:

Comment

With the headlight turned off and the charging system disconnected, the bike should run at idle speed for about 1hr on battery alone if the battery is in good condition and holding a normal charge. I suspect your battery is showing voltage, but not holding amperage. Or put another way, you have voltage, but no capacity. I would check battery voltage with a multimeter at the battery terminals with the bike running (headlight off) and rev the bike to about 4-5k while checking voltage, It should show between 13.4 or so and 14.5. If it does, the charging system is working and the battery is likely ready for the scrap pile.

Earl

Originally posted by Rock View Post
      I have a 78 GS 1000. The battery is a good one and will hold a charge for weeks without using it. The last few times I rode it and the other day just from warming it up the battery died. It stalled and did not have enough juice to even crank it over. Where do I start? Thanks for any help. I'm guessing the generator but don't want to start buying without knowing the problem as I have never had to do electrical repairs before.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

you can eliminate the battery....

by just pulling it and taking it to your local autozone/checker auto parts store. They can hook it up to a tester and tell you if its shorted, if its got the problem the previous poster described about voltage but a large current drop = replace the battery....

Once you eliminate that you can join me in charging system hell....

Depending on how long you rode it, and warmed it up...the RPMs have to be higher than idle to generate charge back to the battery and starting the bike can drain the battery more than you might be putting back into it with a short warm-up.

Comment

Rock,

Start by getting a multimeter (volt-ohm meter). I noticed that your posting didnt mention any voltage readings.

In what part of "Mi" are you?
          Last edited by Redman; 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM. Reason: spulling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
          X