Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrub a dub dub

Hi,
    I am painting the frame, tank, and fenders. While I have the engine off, I thought I would clean the crap off the engine as well. Ive tried simple green, goof off, goo gone, and even carb cleaner....some of the grime is just imbedded in the aluminum. Anyone know of any (legal) acids or cleaners that would strip the aluminum and bring back the factory luster?

You might try the Gunk product line of engine cleaners. After applying, and leaving it there for a half hour or so, wash the engine with a high pressure spray. That should remove all grease.

If lustre is what you are after, you are probably out of luck with chemicals, as you will have to polish the engine/covers/ etc. to bring up lustre again.

Take a look in the Tips section on the forum for JayB's ideas on how to do it.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Maybe over cleaner if it is real stuborn

Comment

The Gunk engine cleaner smells like diesel fuel. I cleaned my bicycle with it and it appeared to work well with scrubbing.

Do a search on oven cleaner. I've heard bad things about it.

Steve

Comment

Oven cleaner does strange things to aluminum. Personally, I'd stay away from it.

Comment

Working...
          X